wv is an application which AFAIK gets called up by other applications such as
Abiword. So when you open a Word document in Abiword it will use wv to do the
translation for you. However wv/Abiword does not support the more exotic Word
features so do not expect documents to translate perfectly.
Abiword is not on your Mandrake CD's but can be downloaded from
www.rpmfind.net

Checkout
man wvAbw
man wvHtml
/usr/share/doc/wv-0.7.0/README

If you want to view word documents embedded in Netscape, then I think the only
way to do that is with Codeweavers crossover plugin which also gives you
other cool features like streaming embedded media using Windows Media Player
and Quicktime.  Crossover plugin is not free, but a demo version is available
at www.codeweavers.com.

If you want to save the Word documents and then view them in another
application then StarOffice 6.0 ought to be able to do that without
'garbage', or else use OpenOffice1.0 which is basically the same as
StarOffice except its free.
Are you using Staroffice 6.0, or the less capable 5.2?
Openoffice (pre 1.0) is on your Mandrake CD#3

HTH

derek