I got cable installed today. The cable modem is hooked up to
a Win98 laptop that's connected to my network with a PCMCIA
ethernet card. The laptop is acting as a gateway machine
running WinRoute Pro.

When I download from my Linux box, everything is great at
first (1500 Kbits/sec!!), but after a few minutes, the
network connection dies.

When I swing to the laptop and open IE, Google comes up
instantly. When I ping the laptop from my Linux box, it
comes back fine. But I can't restore the connection without
rebooting the laptop.

What do y'all think the problem is here? (Yes, I know--I'm
using a Win laptop--but I can't help that at the moment.)

Miark