Another ide is Forte for Java, downloadable from Sun. Judging on its
slowness, I guess it is written in Java, too...

I am by no means an expert in Java or Java IDE, so I will not judge it.
Anyway I found that to make it execute a large applet I had to modify
one kernel variable. I wrote about this on the expert list, the message
is the following:

 >I had problems running a fairly big applet in the Forte for Java 3.0
 >with JSDK 1.3.1: the IDE started ok, but when I tried to execute the
 >applet I got an "out of memory" error (on a 128Mbyte machine).
 >
 >I found out that for some reason the threads-max kernel tunable was
set >to 1024, which turns out to be too small for the IDE. [is this a
 >default for MDK 8.1, or was it changed when I played with the security
 >things?]
 >
 >Changing to 32K with
 ># echo 32768 > /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max
 >fixed the issue.

bye,

raffaele

--