I'm brand new to Linux and new to this list.  Been playing around for last
couple of weeks with an install of Mandrake 8.2.  The hardware is an older
HP Vectra.  200 MHz Pent.; 80 meg RAM; integrated video (S3 Trio); one 1.5
G, and one 1.2 G hard drive.

The 1.5 G drive is partitioned with a (about) 800 meg NT partition, a Linux
/ partition of almost 500 meg and a Linux swap of about 170 m.  The second
drive (slave on the IDE channel) is entirely the /usr partition.

I've reinstalled Linux several times.  Each as an experiment and learning
tool.  During the package install phase, the installer tells me I have about
1200 or so mb to install the packages in.  That appears to be the /usr
partition as it's followed the sizing of that partition each time I've
varied it.  So, if all installed apps go into that partition, what takes up
the room in the root partition?  The documentation says that about 300 mb is
generally enough for the / partition.  Is there no room for anything else on
this partition?

Dan W. Dooley  WB5TKA  Bedford, Texas
   e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Web address: http://www.qsl.net/wb9tka