On Saturday 08 June 2002 03:30 pm, Mike Pruden wrote:
> Need some help re-compiling version 2.4.18-6mdk of mandrake linux.
> I installed this version from a cdrom onto my laptop.  The problem
> I am encountering is that this version enables automatic power
> management by default.  On my laptop SIS630 this causes my laptop
> to power down every few secounds.
>
> I am familiar with using make -e on tar files and changing the
> parameters that I need to change, but since I installed this from a
> cdrom I do not find any tar file in the /usr/src directory, or
> anywhere else that I can think to look.  The only kernel that I can
> identify is in the /boot directory, and it is listed as
> vmlinuz-2.4.18-6mdk.  I am not sure how to re-compile this to
> enable me to turn off the automatic power management option.

   You need to have kernel-source-2.4.18-6mdk  rpm installed. Then
see the instructions here
   http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/index.html#ku
   You _must_ begin with 'make mrproper'  (see page 3). Then copy a
config from /boot, eg, (in /usr/src/linux)
 'cp /boot/config-2.4.18-6mdk .config'
   Edit Makefile and change EXTRAVERSION = to your liking.  Also
uncomment the line      export  INSTALL_PATH=/boot
Then you can run 'make xconfig', and continue on with the compile
steps. 'make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules'  and
'make modules_install && make install'

   The last command, 'make install' will install the proper files to
/boot and edit/run lilo for you.  So make sure you do the Makefile
edits above.  Your new kernel will then be an option when you reboot.

    Have you tried turning off the apm service in Mandrake Control
Center?  I know practically nothin 'bout laptops, but I suspect
compiling a new kernel's not gonna fix your hardware problem.
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas