Folks,

I hope someone has a solution to what may be a ridiculously simple
problem.

I'm using 8.1 on a Compaq Presario 1250 laptop, and to make efficient use
of my PCMCIA slot, I bought a combined modem/network PCMCIA card
(Lynksys). When I installed Linux on the laptop, I initially set the
system to access the web through ADSL, using the pppoe software. Lately,
however, I've been traveling and have needed to use the modem on the
road. When I try to log on using the Gnome ppp program, I get the right
noises from the modem, I get a connection (as evidenced by the noises and
the flashing lights on the modem), but my browser acts as though there's
no connection. I try to "ping" a site and get nothing. Using Mandrake's
network configuration utility, the results are worse -- a quick
connection that gets bumped off almost as soon as it's made, then endless
automatic repeats trying to reconnect. At least Gnome gets me on once and
keeps me there until I click on the disconnect button.

Interestingly, on my Gkrellm monitor, the ppp0 window comes up when I'm
on ADSL but not when I connect with the modem, even though ppp0 shows up
in the Gnome dialer window. Using the ifconfig command, I find a ppp0
text block while using ADSL, but not when using the modem. Also, when I
do a simple route command with ADSL running, I get two ppp0 entries, but
get none when I'm merely trying to run the modem.

I suspect the fix is simple, but so far it's eluded me! (I believe both
services -- ATT-Worldnet and Verizon On-line -- assign DNS numbers on log-in)

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Pete Spotts