Hi Ka Wai TAM
I think you are out on a challange / maybe getting over your head on
this installation.

The machine (you have in mind) would not performe very well for MDK
8.x - Why don't you get the MDK 7.x - If you have a reconable "or
normal netcard" it will be detected.

Even if you would succeed in installing MDK 8 on this machine, the
performance would not give the user any good impression of the
system.

Dion

 --- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Mandrake
8.1 is supposed to be installable with 32Mb RAM, in text
> mode.
>
> I have a 486, and upgraded its memory to 32Mb specifically so I
> could
> install Mandrake.  (The computer can't handle more than 32Mb.)
>
> I boot from the floppy and install from the CD-ROM.  It recognizes
> the
> non-standard Sony CD-ROM 31a (thank you, thank you, Mandrake!), but
> then
> it says: not enough RAM for RAMdisk!  ("Installation exiting
> abnormally.")
>
> Can anyone help me do a minimum text install for Mandrake in 32Mb
> RAM?
>
> I have a 500Mb hard drive (will happily upgrade if need be).
>
> I currently have RedHat Linux 5.1 installed, but I want to be able
> to use
> Mandrake's hardware autodetection.  Specifically, I want it to
> detect the
> Ethernet card; right now my Linux box isn't hooked up to the
> Internet.
>
> Ka Wai TAM   Shad 86W : EngSci 9T1 : PEng '93 : MEng '94 : MD '98 :
> CCFP '00
>              ~{L7<RN0~}  "Ni parolu per Esperanto!"
>              http://www.shelluser.net/~kwtam
>              Use [EMAIL PROTECTED] even if this email came from
> elsewhere.

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

=====

Kind Regards