OK!  You asked for it ;-)

1. As root, edit /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite text editor.
Wherever you see "devfs=mount", make it "devfs=nomount".  As you do
this, notice whether you have "hd?=ide-scsi" on the same lines.

2. Still as root, type the command "lilo" (without the quotes)

3. Type the command "supermount -i disable" (without the quotes)

4. Reboot

Now you have devfs and supermount switched off.  Time to check what
device your cdrom is on.

As root in a console:

cd /dev
(if you didn't have hd?=ide-scsi in lilo.conf)
        eject hdc
        (did the cdrom eject? if not)
                eject hdd
                (could be hde, hdf - depends how many drives you have)

(otherwise, if you did have ide-scsi)
        eject scd0
        (try scd1, scd2 if necessary)

(once you've made the cupholder pop out successfully you know which
device your cdrom is on)

Now for convenience, so you don't have to remember this device:

ln -s the-device-name cdrom

e.g. ln -s hdc cdrom

To test that you got this right:

eject cdrom

Nearly there! Still as root, edit /etc/fstab and make the line
concerning the cdrom look like this:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,nosuid,iocharset=iso8859-15,
noauto,exec,nodev,user   0 0

Note that this is one line.  I have broken it into two pieces to avoid
arbitrary word wrapping.

Now NOT as root:

Right click on the cdrom icon on the desktop and delete it.  Right click
on the desktop and select "Create new" > "CDROM Device".  Select the
device tab and select /dev/cdrom in the device window.  It should
automatically fill in /mnt/cdrom in the mount point window.

Done.  Put a CD in the drive.  Left click on it and marvel at your skill
and intelligence!

Have fun!

Brian