I'm assuming Evolution is looking at the permissions on the signature
file itself (or the directory it's in?). I don't think it's Evolution
itself that is telling you you don't have permissions. Check the file
permissions. Perhaps you moved or created the file as root?

As far as putting a line through deleted messages... This is a simple
security feature to allow you to recover messages you didn't mean to
delete. It puts a line through until you expunge the folder (CTRL-E).
That way, if you realize you didn't want to trash a message, you just
undelete it. If you don't like this behavior you could always just
create a folder called Trash and move messages you want to get rid of
there. You'll still have to go to that folder and do a select all then
delete them but at least they'll be out of the main folders. Also, if
you go to Tools -> Mail Settings -> Other (tab) you'll see a check box
for Empty Trash Folders on Exit. If you choose this messages with a line
through them will be deleted automatically at exit.

Hope this helps.

Vince