You bring out good points, but you are still forgetting some thing.

How are users going to get access to data that is not on a website or
through a database application?  Most users work on Word docs, or Excel
spreadsheets, or heven forbid, a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet.  So, you would say
use SAMBA on the Linux server, right?  We all know how well NetBIOS scales
in an Enterprise environment.

I am not disagreeing with you that a Linux server would be a much better OS
than a Microsoft server as a webserver or a MySQL or some other varient of
the SQL language, or even Oracle.

Most companies have started to look at Linux, as a different alternative to
Unix, as most flavors of Unix are prepriatory and require the special
hardware from the vendor (Solaris is the exception).

BUT, you need to keep this in mind:

It doesn't matter to most companies how much the application costs, until it
starts to affect the end user.  If a user cannot get access to data, your
CTO or CIO will be getting phone calls from managers, and he/she will be
raising hell.  Now, if you can teach all of your end users how to get to
data, then this world would be a perfect one, and you would be even richer
than Bill Gates.

You may have all of the techincal experience in the world, but if you don't
know how end users REALLY work and operate, then you will fail.  Because,
having users complain and cause more of a problem by complaining to the
wrong person, you will be looking for another job.

Right now, I think a *NIX box would be a great web server or database
server, but not a file and print server, nor a server that would be the
equivelent to that of a Domain Controller.  I'm pretty sure that there are
other products out there that would bring this together, but how much is
that going to cost?  Most software vendors are charging more if not the same
for a product that will "seamlessly integrate all of your OS's together."

Step back and look at everything.  Yes Microsoft has become and will always
be a big player and one that will try to force their side of the house on
everyone. But, other software vendors are trying to do the same.  Maybe not
by using a strong arm tatic, but rather chargin rediculous prices for thier
software licenses.

Now, I'm not saying that this applies to EVERY software company out there,
but most of them that I know.

I too am an MCSE, but I don't go around bosting about it.  I have seen other
MCSE's rehash books, but they have little to no real experience with the
product.  MOST, not all, MCSE's are pretty dumb and are probably the most
arrogant people in the industry.  Well, maybe those that are nothing but
Linux guys. :)  I am just like Josh, who started when there was just DOS,
and you needed to know how the hardware works with the software.

I guess, Microsoft is just trying to make their OS more "Admin Friendly".
But, I guess only because by their teachings, they have made most MCSE's
just "Ok.  I just insert the CD, press ENTER, and the OS is installed.
Great.  I'm done, whats next?"  This is appealing to those small businesses,
but not the larger enterprise where security is at the top, if not the very
top, of the list.

Just my 2cents.

Chris