The easiest way is to take a look at /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group,
and /etc/gshadow.

In order to correctly switch everything over, you will have to remove the
original login, either via the command line (ie, vi / joe / emacs, etc), or
via a GUI based administration tool (such as linuxconf, userdrake, etc).

It sounds like you added another separate user, rather than editing the
existing user account.  If that's the case the above method will work.

If you do not have an entry in /etc/passwd for her current (correct login),
you'll have to add that, as well as add her to any groups she was part of
before.

In the future, if you need to make changes to their username (login) or to
their home directory, it is much easier to do something along these lines:

1.  As root, move their existing home directory to the new username.  (ie,
if you are changing it from bharris to bcarter, you'd do "cd /home", then
type "mv bharris bcarter" (without the quotes)
2. Next, you'd edit the line in passwd for bharris, changing bharris to
bcarter and changing the home directory
3. Change the line in /etc/shadow.
4. Change anything necessary in /etc/group and /etc/gshadow.

Michael