On Saturday 15 June 2002 03:00, Todd Slater wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:26:50 +0100
>
> Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As usual the BBC can be relied on http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/
> >
> > It was a good match  :-)
> > As it happens Italy would have gone through even if they lost since
> > Paraguay beat Croatia. Mexico looked quite impressive.
> >
> > derek
>
> Thanks, Derek. I've learned that FIFA has sold exclusive broadcast rights
> to 2002 World Cup to some company that, believe it or not, strictly
> prohibits the broadcast of real-time commentary via Internet. If only I
> had bought that world band radio like I always wanted :-(
>
> The coverage hear in the US has been pitiful. ESPN and ESPN2 should be
> ashamed. Or maybe it's the company that's restricting the broadcast rights
> that's to blame. You can pay $19.95 to see some lame video
> highlights--yeah, right! The day I have to pay extra to watch the Super
> Bowl is the day I buy a gun and start a revolution!

Shame... Its getting really good coverage here in the UK. Some of the games
start at 7:30 am, but that is not stopping the pubs opening early, and
everyone is missing work for the important games.  The cable operators are
broadcasting repeats of the games 18 hours a day on 3 channels without
adverts, so we get to see several games a day :-)
Today England play Denmark. So this afternoon will be devoted to footie .

If you had been able to see the matches I think you would be proud of the USAs
performance. While not actually having the skill of Portugal, their teamwork
led them to a deserved victory. Mexico also have been impressive. Now they
have to play each other..

derek