> Athlon Socket-A Ali Chipset, DDR/SDRAM support. My son-in-law said to stay
> away from Duron. It sounds like many of you use Duron though without a
> problem. The Jetway 830CF is being offered for 229.00 I believe while the

I have an Athlon as well, but many people say Duron runs fine. The big
difference between the two is that the Duron lacks the secondary cache,
and therefore is going to run slower. Even so, it's a good step up from
a Pentium II.

Tou'll probably be better off with the Athlon in the long run - but
typically, memory is more important than processor speed, so for example
a duron with 512 megs is a better investment than an athlon with 256.

Also, you may not need such a fast athlon - you might be able to obtain
a slower speed one at reduced cost. Usually when manufacturers make a
set of cpus at different speeds, the really higher speed versions are
way off scale in price -- they are far more expensive than the increase
in speed would warrant. (You might pay 50% more for 5% increase in
speed.) After a while those prices settle, and sometimes the best choice
is a cpu with a speed of just a little bit less than the highest speed
available - say for instance a 1400 in your situation.

FWIW I got a 1000 mhz athlon, but that was back in March of 2001. I'm sure
prices have gotten much lower :(.