Thank you for that very helpful explanation.

I am using KDE 2.2.1 and my version of Konqueror has only three radio
buttons, not four: Allow, Ask, and Deny.  "Deny" is too restrictive because
there are some good and useful uses of popups such as you described with
your banks.  "Allow" is a poor remedy because it is no improvement to have
to respond to the nuisance dialog popup -- actually it's easier to just "X"
(close" the original popup to which the dialog popup refers.  Surely there
must be some way to distinguish between intrusive popups and popups which
result from selecting a valid option on a website -- such as your bank uses.

I also use popups in some of my websites to open a separate window to
display something in response to a link on one of my web pages while keeping
the original window open. Surely there must be some way to preserve this
worthwhile use of a popup window but get rid of unwanted junk-mail popups.

Joe