John Michael Drouhard wrote:

>Hi all!
>I have an aureal vortex 2 soundcard, and have installed the drivers provided
>at sourceforge.net. I have tried many times to get sound out of computer, but
>it just won't happen. I have tried changing the setting in Sound Server under
>KDE Control Center. When I try to force it to use ALSA, it comes up with this
>message:
>
>-----------
>
>Sound Server informational message:
>
>Error while initializing the sound driver:
>device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Invalid argument)
>
>The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
>
>-----------
>
>Sound hasn't come out at all yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
>
>Other comp specs:
>
>Motherboard: VIA 503+
>K-6 III+ 450 running at 500 MHz
>Sound Card: Aureal Vortex2
>Video card: TNT2 32MB
>Network card: Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Card
>384 MB Memory
>
>1 generic cd reader
>1 Samsung 8x8x32 CD-RW
>1 Floppy
>1 10 GB WD Harddrive
>1 40 GB Maxtor Harddrive
>Mandrake Linux 8.2 with the standard kernel for this distro.  Running in dual
>boot mode with Windows 98.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Ummm three things...

1.  Use a nopentium in the install and in the appernd lines of the boot.
 Some programs behave differently between the two because there is a
tiny difference in paging between the k6 and the Pentium.  See the 8.2
errata page for details.

2.  If your vortex is a Dell pull, it will work only with Dell drivers,
of which there are none for linux.  There were special OEM runs just for
Dell.  This would also be true for Windows so if you can get sound out
of this in windows, you know you have a card compatible with the driver.
 I should also mention that the binary core of this driver is very
closed source and is getting harder and harder for the project to
support for new linux distros .

3.  The informational message about /dev/dsp means your sound card is
NOT being recognized and set up automatically.  You need to change some
parameters in /etc/devfsd.conf for this to happen.  Fortunately there
are two manpages devfsd and devfsd.conf and the latter has a useful
example for winmodem drivers, which isn't too far off from this
winsoundcard.

Civileme