John wrote:

Paul
I have a cable hookup and would like to be able to run internet on a dell laptop and gateway desktop without unhooking and re-hooking the cable modem. I know absolutely nothing about setting this up and would appreciate any help. The current set up now is on interface eth0 which was automatically setup by mandriva when I hooked the cable up.
Thanks
John
Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva? Go to http://store.mandriva.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com

John,

Hmm, cable. I'm not sure how good Mandriva support is for BCM4300 cards. I know in Ubuntu there is a thing called fwcutter that can parse Winblows drivers and make it work with Linux with some setting up. I think someone mentioned it in passing here on this list. I can understand why you'd want to have the capability. The best advice I can think of is to find a wireless adapter with Linux native compatibility, unless you feel up to messing with ndiswrapper/fwcutter. Does your modem act as a kind of transceiver or does it have routing capabilities? You could easily pick up a wireless router (I've heard lately Netgear is the best but I use Linksys) then just find a compatible adapter.

I did a quick search for linux compatible wireless adapters and came across this: http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G122-Compact-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0002DQUHC :). Hopefully that is a step in the right direction. The best advice I can stay is to do a little research with google and find what works flawlessly or nearly that.

Paul