I am afraid I am out of my depth now, however I notice you write "VESA" and I use
"vesa" I assume
you do not use caps in your conf. otherwise it may explain a few things...
However, from the reaction of your XFree86 -configure there could be something amiss
in your setup
and there I cannot help and you have to hope someone else on the list knows more...
sorry about not being able to be of more use...
Lionel