Thanks for the offer to help.  Let me update you on status of my problem.
I completely downloaded the CVS files.  While I was doing this I located a
few posts on what to do next.  Let me know it this sounds right to you:

1) Move the ../X11R6 and /X11 directories out of the way.
2) Copy XF86Site.def to host.def and edit it to make any changes to drivers
you do not need or compiler optimizations.  I have no clue what changes I
would need to make.
3) make World
4) make install
5) make install.man

   I skipped step 2, but after I tried to "make World", I would get about
1/2 screen of text and then it would crash.  I researched the error a bit
and found it was a bug in certain versions of gcc.  Rather than pull my hair
out trying to fix this I opted to give up on Red Hat for now and switched to
Mandrake 8.1.

   Mandrake installed flawlessly.  It does not recognize the 8500, but I can
load a GUI, something I couldn't do with Red Hat 7.2.  It's alot easier than
trying to learn Linux from a command prompt and a few books.  The GNOME
Configuration strangely doesn't have ANY video card listed.  If  I try to
adjust the resolution or color depth, it tells me I need to first specify a
video card.

  ?????

  If I can successfully download and compile the CVNs - do you think this
will help to fix it?  Will the 8500 be configurable under GNOME or will I
have to edit and file myself.

  I sure could use any help you or anyone else could provide.

  One thing is for sure, I've learned ALOT in the last two days.

Thanks,
Brian