"SHOBHIT MATHUR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> *       XFree86 -pci recognizes both the cards and allots BusIds.
>                 (0:13:0) Matrox MGA 2064W               ----- FIRST
> VIdeo Card
>                 (1:0:0) ATI card using a ATI Mach64 GDP ----- SECOND
> [built-in].

Can you get it the other way round? Usually the BIOS has a switch VGA
AGP/PCI first. Using matrox as secondary is a safe thing. Anyway, so
far things are fine.

> *       Kudzu repeatedly reports the absence of the built-in card
>         [ATI]

I don't know much about kudzu, but I think it is either wrong or
irrelevant or both.

>         XFree86 -version        :       XFree86 Version 4.0.3 / X Window
> System

This is rather old and probably buggy. Try 4.1.0.1 or a recent
snapshot 4.1.99 (not for the faintharted).

> *       Frame-buffer device-driver needs to be a part of the compiled
> kernel
>         in order to observe multihead behaviour.

You should be able to get along with frame-buffer. However, using
frame buffer may be an alternative way to go multihead. Imho you can
only do this with a matrox as secondary card.

> #XFree86  4.0 configuration generated by Xconfigurator

The int10 module is missing. It should go in here:

> Section "Module"
      Load        "int10"

Otherwise the secondary card is not initialised and wont generate a
correct signal (matrox may be an exception, but your matrox card is
primary anyway).

HTH
                    Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>