Wendel Dean Renner wrote:

> I would like to report several problems I have encountered with
> XFree86 X/Motif in porting an application that is currently
> correctly running on a Silicon Graphics computer under Irix.
> On the SGI computer X/Motif is based on X11R6.
>
> I have observed different behavior and problems that prevent my
> application from running correctly under Linux with XFree86.
>
> I would first like to ask.  Is XFree86 a port of X/Motif code from
> the Open Software Foundation to Linux, or is it a reimplementation?
> If the same code is ported I would expect the same behavior.  It
> was my understand that to port X only a subset of the code has
> to be rewritten to accommodate a particular computer architecture.
> If a reimplementation, than that would explain the difference in
> behavior perhaps.

I don't know much about Motif, but I know that it's not a part of
XFree86.  It's a separate widget library, that uses X.  I believe there
are two variants abailable for Linux, a re-implementation called
Lesstif, and a port of the "official" Motif code since it was recently
"liberated".  I think there's also at least one commercial version, XI
Graphics or maybe Metroworks (?).  Sorry I can't help you with your
specific problems.  You'd do best to first find out which of these
versions of Motif you have, and then find a support forum for that.

I doubt your problems will be too hard to resolve, I understand that
there's a very high level of compatibility among all of these.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html