        The libX11.so from XFree86-4.2.0 depends on libdl from
        glibc. Programs, like xmodmap from XFree86-4.2.0, which link
        with the only library on the link line being -lX11 fail with
        "atexit undefined" (in libdl) IIRC.

        I did ld --verbose and certainly libc_nonshared.a is found and
        linked in.

        I have binutils 2.11.2 and glibc 2.2.5.

>How-To-Repeat:
        Build XFree86 4.2.0 and watch what happens to xmodmap

>Fix:
        I have two messy workarounds. I don't understand quite what is
        responsible.

        Either add -ldl to the link command line,
        or add
                #define BuildLoadableXlibI18n NO
        to your XFree86 host.def

--