are you running 4.x.x or 3.3.6? vesa is an 4.x.x driver (I believe the *universal*
3.3.6 driver is
svga)
If you are running 4.x.x then
        Driver "vga"
in your device section should suffice

Your XF86Config would help
do you really have only 1 MB ram or does your graphic card have 1 MB ram (it's a bit
skimpy you
would have to run with default depth 8)
Lionel