lee wrote:

> I have a s3 805 chip on a 486 w/1mg ram
> So far all the x configs I have tried end up freezing
> the monitor, keyboard, mouse then I startx,and
> I have to manually turn the pc off.
> The FreebSD naturally complains a lot at reboot.

Tell us a little more about what you've done.  Is this FreeBSD 4.4
release?  Did you install the default version of XFree86 that comes with
that (3.3.6) or did you install the 4.1.0 package, or something else?
Did you run the X configuration tool in the FreeBSD installation menu?
If so, how did that go? Which video card did you choose from the list?
If not, what did you do?  You say "freezing the monitor, keyboard,
mouse".  Does that mean the monitor went blank, or put up some graphic
pattern and nothing more?  Did you try Ctl+Alt+F1 to switch to a text
console?  Was the mouse working on the text console before you tried to
start X?

I'm not familiar with that specific chip, but I'm sure that between the
S3, the S3V, and the SVGA servers (those are in version 3.3.6) one of
them should work fine, and give you 256 colors at 1024X768, or even
1152X864 if your monitor can handle it.  What sort of monitor is it?

I'm just full of questions today  ;-)

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html