I have a rather interesting problem with Xwindows 4.2.0 and my
Intel 830M AGP card. When I startx at the console, It goes to start,
and then immediately the lcd screen bleeds, from the edges to the
center it becomes a reddish/white colour, then the X server crashes, locking
the entire system so that the only recourse is to ctrl-alt-del, and hope it
goes through the reboot script.

I am running Slackware 8, with the 2.4.16 kernel, the agpgart module is loaded
at runtime, and /etc/X11/XF86Config is edited as the Intel support pages show.
I've tried under different distributions of linux, with the 2.4.5 kernel, and
also tried with what I am assuming was the 3.3.6 release of Xfree86.

I installed Xfree86 from packages, because it wouldn't compile correctly, and
while I know that XFree86 4.2.0 supports this chipset, I have absolutely no
idea where to continue. Has anyone had similar problems, and if so, how did
they rectify them?