Thanks for the advice!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Spradley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: February 7, 2002 5:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Newbie]X Install

"Parrott, Tyler (Brunnet)" wrote:

> Hey All,
>
>     I recently installed FreeBSD 4.5 on my machine (I'm not sure which
> version of X comes with it but I'm sure it's fairly recent)

I finally found it:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/relnotes-i386.html#AEN677

"FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE includes the older 4.1.0 version of the XFree86
package."

> and I just can't
> get the server running.  I have a PIII700, Riva TNT2 card, I set the mode
at
> 1024x768 with 24 bit color, the mouse works when I test it.  But when the
> graphical config tries to start the X server, it fails.  I don't get any
> error messages because it's just the setup script that's running it.

Isn't that annoying?  Sysinstall does a good job usually, but when it
doesn't, you're mostly helpless.

I've been running 4.1.0 with a Riva TNT2 M64 chipset for some months.
Works fine, mostly, but when Netscrape 4.76 gets its knickers in a twist
and has to be killed the Xserver also takes a SIGSEGV and fills my root
filesystem with a core dump.

I installed it from the port or package (don't remember which) and it
configured itself and "just worked".  Try "XFree86 -configure" (as root)
and see if that works.  Or xf86cfg, from a root shell on a text console,
rather than from sysinstall.

>  I've
> tried editing the XF86Config file myself but all the settings look fine to
> me...as they are the same settings I had when I was running X with
Slackware
> 8.0?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Tyler Parrott

Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html