Laurence wrote:

> I've installed XFree 4.1.0 on Solaris 8 and finally got the correct configuration.
>The only problem here is that at startup, the dtlogin prints "X server cannot be
>started on display :0..."
> It seems I need a way to make dtlogin uses the /etc/X11/XF86Config I generated with
>XFree 4.1.0. I looked into manual and found little help. Can anyone help me??

Ah, you're trying to use CDE with XFree86.  I don't have a Solaris box
available right now, and I never bothered to work out how dtlogin is
configured when I did.  You'll need to find out how dtlogin is
configured to decide what X server to start, and point that to the
XFree86 server instead of the Sun X server.  IIRC, the Sun X executables
were in /usr/bin/X11, and the XFree86 equivalent would be
/usr/X11R6/bin.  You'll have to grovel through /etc/rc.d to find how
dtlogin is started, and that should lead you to where it finds out what
X server to start, and then you can just change that from something like
/usr/bin/X11/Xsun to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  With that and the man
pages you should be able to figure it out eventually.

Bear in mind that I'm working from vague memories, by guess and by gosh
here, so don't expect the details to be correct.  At least all this is
still controlled by plain text files, shell scripts and X resources --
At least it was still in Solaris 7.  They haven't changed that, have
they?

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html