> After a reboot last night, I got some annoying downwards scrolling
> horisontal lines on my XFree86 display.

> They show up as white lines to the right of white, or greyscale
> windows.  And they show up as dark lines to the right of the left edge
> of white and greyscale windows.

> Eg. if I just have an empty icewm display, the image is still, but if
> I open XEmacs, I see these lines to the right of the XEmacs window.

On the previous reboot, I was pressing "Pause" to get a good look at
the BIOS version number of the graphics card, and I was wondering if
that had messed up the card's boot phase.

I did a new reboot where I kept my hands off the keyboard, and the
problem went away.

Of course if that was the real reason, I'll never know...:-)