You go into your /etc/X11/XF86Config (assuming mandrake does not use
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
otherwise hack the latter)
There you will find a screen section which has a default depth line and a few display
subsections
You can set the default depth to what you would wish to have (I suspect 24)
then you set the resolution in the display subsection with that depth for instance:
        Subsection "Display"
                Depth 24
                Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection