_ _ wrote:

I've see people asking about how to fix this before but i never found a answer. This is the problem that im having:

I just installed FreeBSD 7.1.

FreeBSD 7.1 ????

There is no such animal..
Redhat Linux 7.1 maybe
FreeBSD 4.7 maybe

I went through all the configurations that they showed on there install guide which also sets up mice, keyboards, monitors, etc. Now, I boot up the computer and everything is fine. I have my command prompt and can run everything. So I type 'startx' to get into the KDE GUI that i specified during the install. The screen flickers a few times then gives me these errors:

(EE) Mouse1: cannot open the input device

(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"
you don't show the  mouse part of your XF86Config file
(if it IS BSD you will possibly find it in /etx/X11.)

did you specify a sysmouse?
does the mouse control a pointer in the normal console screens?

if you are running FreeBSD, then the othe rsuggestions people do not apply
if you are not, My suggestions may not apply.

No core pointer

Fatal server error:

Failed to initialize core devices

then it brings me back to the command prompt. I use a standard PS/2 microsoft intellimouse (3 buttons). During install i set it up as Auto and PS/2 using a mouse port of /dev/sysmouse and the protocol of mousesystems. I do have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse that i use for my W2Kpro system on the other partition but it has been unconnected ever since i started the BSD install. Can anybody tell me what needs to be done so that I can get startx to properly run? Thank you very much.