Have you tried to re-install the latest Developerīs tools. Itīs providing a lot of essential basic functions that you may have wiped-out accidentally.

By the way, have you taken a look at the fink website, they can provide more mac-specific answers for X11...

And try starting with the Terminal instead of XDarwin : typing startx -- -quartz
It will launch XDarwin but also give you informations on the causes of the failure in the terminal window.
Just after the start, you can turn back to OS-X pushing apple-alt-a...

good luck
eric