I'm guessing that you could change run levels to run level 3 rather than continuing at run level 5:

As root at a console prompt: init 3 <ret>

Matt

At 11:44 PM 12/15/2002 -0500, you wrote:
How come no body answers my question :(

Emre Tezel wrote:
Hi Everyone,
This is a really newbie question. I am trying to upgrade Xfree86 in my Red Hat 7.2 system, from 4.1.x to 4.2.0. In the installation notes, it is written that one should exit the Xsession and stop xdm, before running the installation script. How exactly is this done?
-Thanks
Emre