Thanks for the replies, Dan S and David Edge, and John Werner.  I was almost
ready to Send a reply to Dan's response and David's first response, when I
checked the inbox and found David's 2nd and John's.
I forgot to comment on Convenience_Store in my post, but don't think that it
applies because it has a generally understood meaning here that is really
smaller than the store of which I'm thinking.  I was leaning towards David's
solution, which finds the OSM definition of grocery too limited, but now I'll
go with John's.
Actually in the urbanized area in which I live, there is so much overlap now
that it's getting hard to differentiate.  Almost all filling stations (gas or
petrol) are self-serve, and as they are being updated, convenience stores are
being added.  And the pharmacies are putting in coolers and carrying dairy
products and groceries, but not fresh produce.  The small grocery stores that I
speak of are fast disappearing, except for specialty ethnic ones, but they are
still common in more rural areas without the population to support a
supermarket.
A special thanks, John, for the TagInfo link.  That looks as though it will
come in very useful in future.