Congress expected to pass financial rescue package...

Written By: JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS, AP Writer...

WASHINGTON, DC (NS/AP) -

Key lawmakers who struck a post-midnight deal on a $700 billion
bailout for the financial industry predicted Sunday it would pass
Congress, putting in place the largest government intervention in
markets since the Great Depression...

Negotiators sought to iron out the final shape of the legislation and
it still had to be reviewed by House Republicans, whose fierce
opposition to a federal rescue nearly torpedoed an emerging bipartisan
pact late in the week...

But officials in both parties were hopeful for a House vote Monday,
and the two presidential candidates said they probably would support
it...

Under the rescue plan, the government would pump as much as $700
billion into beleaguered financial firms that are starving for cash,
taking over huge amounts of devalued assets from the companies in the
hopes of unlocking frozen credit...

The proposal is designed to end a vicious downward spiral that has
battered all levels of the economy, in which hundreds of billions of
dollars in investments based on mortgages gone bad have cramped banks'
willingness to lend...

"This is the bottom line: If we do not do this, the trauma, the chaos
and the disruption to everyday Americans' lives will be overwhelming,
and that's a price we can't afford to risk paying," Sen. Judd Gregg,
the chief Senate Republican in the talks, told The Associated Press on
Sunday. "I do think we'll be able to pass it, and it will be a
bipartisan vote."

A breakthrough came when Democrats agreed to incorporate a GOP demand
— letting the government insure some bad home loans rather than buy
them — designed to limit the amount of federal money used in the
rescue...

Another important bargain, vital to attracting support from centrist
Democrats and Republicans who are fiscal hawks, would require that the
government, after five years, submit a plan to Congress on how to
recoup any losses...

The presidential nominees came behind the outlines of the bailout...

"This is something that all of us will swallow hard and go forward
with," said Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona. "The option of
doing nothing is simply not an acceptable option."

His Democratic rival, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, sought credit for
taxpayer safeguards added to the initial proposal from the Bush
administration. "I was pushing very hard and involved in shaping those
provisions," he said...

House Republicans said they're still reviewing the plan...

"We are not ready to say that a deal is done," Rep. Eric Cantor, R-
Va...

Congressional leaders announced a tentative deal in the early hours of
Sunday morning after marathon negotiations at the Capitol...

"We've still got more to do to finalize it, but I think we're there,"
said Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, who also participated in the
negotiations in the Capitol...

Executives whose companies benefit from the rescue could not get
"golden parachutes" and would see their pay packages limited...

The government would receive stock warrants in return for the bailout
relief, giving taxpayers a chance to share in financial companies'
future profits...

To help struggling homeowners, the plan requires the government to try
renegotiating the bad mortgages it acquires with the aim of lowering
borrowers' monthly payments so they can keep their homes...

"Nobody got everything they wanted," said Democratic Rep. Barney Frank
of Massachusetts, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.
He predicted it would pass, though not by a large majority...

Gregg, R-N.H., said he thinks taxpayers will come out as financial
winners. "I don't think we're going to lose money, myself. We may,
it's possible, but I doubt it in the long run," he said...

Frank appeared on C-SPAN, Obama was on CBS' "Face the Nation," McCain
spoke on "This Week" on ABC and Cantor was on "Late Edition" on CNN...
Google group...

To read more, go to:

http://www.newssarasota.com
http://newssarasotaezine.talkspot.com

To hear more, go to:

http://thecaptainsamerica.podomatic.com

Enjoy the priviledge you now share with others who want to know what others
don't...

Thanks,

Matt Bruce
Managing Editor
News Sarasota.com
Retired 25 Year Fire-Rescue Captain
Host Of:
"The Captain's AMERICA" Show
Heard From 12 noon to 1 PM ET Monday Thru Friday
LIVE On Net Talk World.com
Across America & Around The Globe At The Speed Of The Internet...
Weekend's Overnight on The Accent Radio Network...
Check Out:
http://thecaptainsamerica.com
http://www.nettalkworld.com

For more options, visit this group at