Black Florida congressman apologies for Palin comments

>From CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida is apologizing for recent comments about Alaska
Gov. Sarah Palin.

(CNN) - An African-American congressman from Florida is apologizing for his
comment that black and Jewish voters should not support Republican vice
presidential nominee Sarah Palin because "anybody toting guns and stripping
moose don't care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks."
"I regret the comments I made last Tuesday that were not smart and certainly
not relevant to hunters or sportsmen," Rep. Alcee Hastings said in a statement
issued Monday.
Last week, at a panel on the shared agenda of Jewish and African-American
Democrats during the annual conference of the National Jewish Democratic
Council, Hastings told attendees what he intended to tell his Jewish
constituents about the importance of supporting Sen. Obama in November's
presidential election. "If Sarah Palin isn't enough of a reason for you to get
over whatever your problem is with Barack Obama, then you damn well had better
pay attention," Hastings said last week. "Anybody toting guns and stripping
moose don't care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks. So, you just
think this through," he added

The comments elicited a swift response from the Republican Jewish Coalition. In
a statement issued last week, Matt Brooks, the group's Executive Director, said
Hastings "stooped to the worst kind of divisive politics."
"There should be no place in our country for this sort of political discourse.
We can constructively disagree on the issues without denigrating others," added
Brooks.
In his statement Monday, Hastings said he still backed the sentiment behind his
initial remarks. "The point I made, and will continue to make, is that the
policies and priorities of a McCain-Palin administration would be anathema to
most African Americans and Jews," he said in his statement. "I regret that I
was not clearer and apologize to Governor Palin, my host where I was speaking,
and those who my comments may have offended."
Last Friday, the NJDC announced the launch of a new campaign of pro-Obama ads
that will appear in Jewish newspapers across the country. The first ad in the
campaign is timed to coincide with the Rosh Hashanah issues of the
publications, and focuses on Obama's support for Israel. "Barack Obama is
committed to a safe and secure Israel" and "believes that Israel must be
preserved as a Jewish state," the ad reads.
The Republican Jewish Coalition has already launched its own series of
election-related ads in Jewish newspapers throughout the country. The latest ad
refers to some Obama's advisers as "pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel, and even
hostile to America" and states that "You can know a man by the company he
keeps."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/29/black-florida-congressman-apologizes-for-comments-about-palin/
Google group...

To read more, go to:

http://www.newssarasota.com
http://newssarasotaezine.talkspot.com

To hear more, go to:

http://thecaptainsamerica.podomatic.com

Enjoy the priviledge you now share with others who want to know what others
don't...

Thanks,

Matt Bruce
Managing Editor
News Sarasota.com
Retired 25 Year Fire-Rescue Captain
Host Of:
"The Captain's AMERICA" Show
Heard From 12 noon to 1 PM ET Monday Thru Friday
LIVE On Net Talk World.com
Across America & Around The Globe At The Speed Of The Internet...
Weekend's Overnight on The Accent Radio Network...
Check Out:
http://thecaptainsamerica.com
http://www.nettalkworld.com

For more options, visit this group at