[Rough Translation]

IZJAVA PREDSEDNIKA KOŠTUNICE
Declaration of President Kostunica

Jugoslavija i Srbija zaslužuju bolje
Yugoslavia and Serbia Deserve Better

Obracam vam se u jednom izuzetno teškom, gotovo sudbinskom trenutku za našu
zemlju. Pored svih bezbrojnih problema sa kojima smo suoceni, i koje smo
nasledili kako od bivšeg režima, tako i od onih koji su nas, u sprezi sa tim
režimom, držali u višegodišnjoj izolaciji, a potom i pod bombama, sada smo
suoceni sa problemom koji je nepotrebno i nepromišljeno ovde stvoren.

I am addressing you at an incredibly difficult, even faithful moment for our
country.  Besides all the countless problems that face us - including those
that we inherited from the previous regime, as well as from those who,
together with that regime, held us in long-lasting isolation, and afterwords
held us under bombs - we are now faced with a problem that was unecessarily
and unthinkingly created here.

Vecerašnje izrucenje bivšeg predsednika SRJ Slobodana Miloševica Haškom
tribunalu, kao i prethodno izrucenje Milomira Stakica, ne mogu se smatrati
zakonitim i ustavnim. Savezni ustavni sud je danas doneo privremenu meru
suspenzije Uredbe o saradnji sa Hagom do konacne odluke o ustavnosti tog
dokumenta i, da je bilo elementarnog uvažavanja pravne procedure, ta mera je
morala biti ispoštovana. Ovo se može protumaciti kao ozbiljno ugrožavanje
ustavnog poretka zemlje. Pravna država, koja nije bila programski cilj samo
DSS, nego i celog DOS-a, ne može se graditi na nepravu.

Tonights handing over of the former FRY President, Slobodan Milosevic, to the
Hague tribunal, as well as the previous handing over of Milomir Stakic,
cannot be considered legal or constitutional.  The Federal Constitutional
Court today issued a temporary stay of the Decree for Cooperation with the
Hague Tribunal until the eventual ruling on the constitutionality of that
document, if there was even the elementary respect for legal procedure, that
measure had to have been respected.  This can be considered as a serious
violation of the constitutional order of the country.  A legal state, which
wasn't only the platform of the DSS, but of the whole of DOS, cannot be build
on a injustice.

Iz arsenala Miloševiceve politike, koja je bila zaista pogubna po državu i
narod, sada su preuzeti i oživljeni upravo njeni najnedemokatskiji elementi:
bezakonje i povlacenje ishitrenih i ponižavajucih poteza koje niko u
medunarodnoj zajednici nije ni tražio, bar ne izricito. Saradnja sa Haškim
tribunalom, svakako nužna, svedena je na puko izrucivanje optuženih, bez
ikakve zaštite gradana i, konacno, zaštite interesa same države. Nije
poštovan ni najosnovniji postupak, kao da se nekome ovde, a ne nekome spolja,
žurilo da što pre ispuni ko zna kada, kako i od koga preuzetu obavezu.

>From the arsenal of Milosevic's politics, which was truly defeatist for the
state and the people, are now adopted and revived precisely its most
undemocratic elements: illegality and the pulling off of humiliating
maneuvres that no one in the international community didn't ask for, at least
not explicitly.  Cooperation with the Hague Tribunal, however necessary, has
been brough to the blunt extradition of the accused, without any protection
for the citizens and, eventually, the protection of the interests of the
state.  Not even the most elementary gesture was respected, as if it was for
someone here, and not from someone out there, that there was a hury and
complete a task for who knows when, how and for whom.

Sve je pokušano, sve je predlagano - da se saveznim zakonom, ili saveznim i
republickim zakonom, samo republickim zakonom, zatim uredbom Savezne vlade,
reguliše teško pitanje naše saradnje sa Tribunalom. Da i ne govorim o tome
da je, uprkos mojim i ne samo mojim mnogobrojnim zahtevima, propuštena
mogucnost da se našim gradanima, i to onima koji su pre svega nama zlo
naneli, sudi ovde, u zemlji.

Everything was tried, all was layed out so that - with federal law, or
federal and republican law, only through republican law, and afterwords
through the decree of the Federal government - the diffcult question of
cooperation with the Tribunal would be regulated.  Not to mention even the
fact that, despite mine and not only my numerous demands, the chance was
missed to give to our citizens a trial in our country of those who above all
brough evil to us in our country.

Sve je to, medutim, ustuknulo pred najdirektnijim ogrešenjem o pravo, a svaki
pokušaj da se ta saradnja reguliše pravno, kako bi bila i zaštita naših
državljana, potpuno je obesmišljen. Da stvar bude gora, udarac nanet
vladavini prava nanet je istovremeno i saveznoj državi. Tome je, svojom
nespremnošcu za saradnju, na žalost doprineo i SNP.

All this was, however, was achieved through the most direct violations of
law, and completley missed every opportunity to legally regulate cooperation
with the tribunal so that our citizens could be protected.  For the thing to
be worse, the blow struck to the Rule of Law was simultaneously struck in the
Federal state.  To this unfortunately, through its unwillingness to
cooperate, the SNP also contributed.

Ovim putem ne možemo ni u buducnost ni u Evropu i svet. Bez prosperitetne i
dostojanstvene države koja pruža pravnu i svekoliku drugu sigurnost svim
svojim gradanima, necemo daleko stici. Jugoslavija i Srbija zaslužuju bolje.

Through this path not only can we not go into the future, but neither have a
future in Europe and even the world.  Without a prosperous and honorable
state which extends just and multifaceted security to all its citizens we
won't get far.  Yugoslavia and Serbia deserve better.

Sada se moramo bez oklevanja, ali hladne glave, suociti sa posledicama
ovakvih poteza i spreciti ono najgore: da ti potezi ozbiljno ugroze ovu
zemlju, njene gradane, ali i vec narušen mir u našem regionu. Ucinicu sve
što je u mojoj moci da se to najgore spreci i da se ocuvaju jedinstvo države
i interesi njenih gradana, kao i da se sve ono dobro što je dosad postignuto
u saradnji sa medunarodnom zajednicom nastavi na zdravim medunarodnopravnim
osnovama.

Now we must without hesitancy, but with cool heads, confront the consequences
of these moves and prevent the worse: tha these moves seriously threaten this
coutnry, her citizens, and also the already broken peace in our region.  I
will do everything in my power that the worse is prevented and that the unity
of the state and the interests of its citizens be protected, as well as to
ensure that all the good that has so far come from cooperation with the
international community continues on a healthy basis of international
equality.

                                    Serbian News Network - SNN

                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                    http://www.antic.org/