URL for this article is
http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/rozoff/shrill.htm
To Join Emperor's Clothes Email list go to
http://emperors-clothes.com/feedback.htm - We Send About One Emperor's
Clothes Article a Day

www.tenc.net
[Emperor's Clothes]

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING REALLY SHRILL ABOUT MACEDONIA...
by Rick Rozoff and Jared Israel [27 July 2001]

Today Agence France Presse (AFP) published a report about protest
demonstrations in Macedonia.

The 'AFP' report contains the shrill, defamatory stereotypes used with
increasing frequency in the Western media to describe Macedonians, both
ordinary citizens and officials.

We are witnessing one of those media campaigns so uniform, scripted and
predictable - and consistently inaccurate - that one has to suspect
coordination between the controlling elements of the news media and
certain Western foreign offices and covert services.

Examples abound in this brief 'AFP' dispatch. Macedonians are pointedly,
repeatedly and gratuitously identified as 'Slavs' (as opposed to what
they are - Macedonians!) and their actions are labeled with such
pejorative terms as: 'irate,' 'mob,' 'incited,' 'escalated,'
'irresponsible' and 'immature.'

"Mob of angry Slavs" is the phrase of choice indicating the mental image
intended for the reader. And it is have some effect. Yesterday on one of
the major American liberal news Websites a press wire headline read:
"Anti-Albanian Riots Explode In Macedonia."

'HONEY, IS SOMETHING MISSING FROM THE ANTI-ALBANIAN RIOTS?' 'WHY YES,
DEAR, THEY AREN'T ANTI-ALBANIAN.'

We have read a dozen or so reports on the protests and saw nothing
factual to suggest an anti-Albanian flavor. Rather, even in these
hostile Western media reports one could see that the protesters were
focused and informed, with clear political, not ethnic, targets: NATO,
the U.S., Britain and Germany, all for their role in undermining
Macedonian sovereignty and assisting the so-called NLA terrorists. And
really, shouldn't they be angry? NATO (led by the U.S.) is after all
trying to destroy their country and their lives. (2)

But "crowd of angry Slavs" is the message that Western officials and
their always-obliging media are drilling into the public's imagination.

Make no mistake, these distortions have a purpose: to dehumanize the
victims of what is in fact going on in Macedonia, that is, large scale
ethnic cleansing and national destruction

As has been the case throughout the assault on Yugoslavia, the tone of
Imperial war propaganda is faux-liberal.

Here's how it worked starting with the secession of Croatia and Slovenia
back in 1991, and, alas, how it is still working today.

A secessionist force is organized by the U.S. and or Germany and or
England. This Western proxy force draws on elements which hark back to
the old Nazi alliance of World War II (3) - in this case, the
descendents of pro-Nazi Albanians, mainly from Kosovo. This force is
ordered to attack, a process the media misdescribes as a rebellion by an
oppressed local population. The fascist flavor of the 'rebels' is hidden
from Western eyes. (In this case, we hear little about the rallying cry
of the NATO proxy army attacking Macedonia, which is "Greater Albania,"
i.e., the re-creation of the map of the Balkans that existed only under
Hitler.) Moreover, most of the media ignores the easily documented
involvement of Western operatives (in this case the official NATO
organization in Kosovo) in sponsoring and directing the attack. (4) The
attempts of the nation under attack to defend itself are misdescribed as
brutal repression and the victims are accused of racism.

What is the goal of this propaganda today? To prevent the development of
a support movement for Macedonia among the public in NATO countries. The
logical basis for supporting Macedonia is that a) it is the victim of
Imperial attack, organized from Washington and b) it is being attacked
on a racist basis, i.e. the attack appeals to anti-Slavic racism within
the Albanian populations of the area. To prevent this kind of support
movement from developing, the Western media and government officials
turn matters upside down, portraying Macedonians as ethnic chauvinists
and opponents of peace. One might call this strategy "Outflanking
opposition from the Left." By feeding Western citizens the lie that
Macedonia's "problem" is discrimination against Albanians which has
spawned an "extremist" response, direct NATO intervention and occupation
of territory can be presented as "peacekeeping" to "rebuild civil
society" and other fairy tales.

The propaganda works. After she had watched the TV news, a decent but
uninformed American told one of us, "It's a mess over there - I guess we
better do something." Little did she know: 'we' have!

President Bush's brief visit to the massive U.S. military base
("Bondsteel" of all things) in Kosovo Tuesday was meant to deliver a
message about Macedonia. Or rather, several messages.

MESSAGE ONE: THE MEANING OF KOSOVO

First, he said Kosovo is for Washington the model of progress through
intervention. He told U.S. troops (and, of course, the world):

"Thanks to you and those who served before you, the people of Kosovo are
able to buy food and find shelter, go to school, and get medical help."

Since Kosovo's current reality is that an estimated 350,000
non-Albanians and anti-fascist Albanians have been driven from their
homes and are refugees in Serbia or elsewhere, or are dead, since the
remaining Serbs and Roma ("Gypsies") live in conditions of terror,
including daily beatings rape and murder, and we have documented the
fact of this terror, since the U.S. has created in Kosovo a regime of
open gangsterism - for Bush to say:

"the people of Kosovo are able to buy food and find shelter, go to
school, and get medical help."

means that fascist tyranny is the U.S. model for progress; thus in
Macedonia as well. (5)

Bush called for:

"a political settlement that 'addresses the legitimate grievance of the
Albanian population while protecting Macedonia's sovereignty and
territorial integrity.'

Since in fact the issue in Macedonia has nothing whatsoever to do with
"legitimate grievances" but rather involves an invasion by U.S.-armed
terrorists, what is this but a call for the Macedonians to surrender.
Bush emphasized that such was his intent by the almost funny way he
"threatened" the KLA terrorists (many of them UN-employed!) who are
attacking Macedonia:

"..he also urged Kosovo Albanians to stop fueling the Macedonian
conflict and 'focus on Kosovo.'"

Surely that sent terror through the ranks of the KLA or NLA or Kosovo
Protection Corps - or NATO! - take your pick.

MESSAGE TWO: "LISTEN UP YOU DARN ALBANIANS!"

All of this constitutes a message also to those whom NATO's "NLA" proxy
army has been targeting for recruits: Macedonians of Albanian descent.
These ethnic Albanians have not been sufficiently receptive to the mix
of terror and promises of 'Greater Albania' which the Kosovo Liberation
Army invaders have used in the effort to elicit their "participation" in
the "rebellion." Bush is telling these ethnic Albanians: Kosovo is our
model. We are backing the terrorist secessionists in Macedonia just as
strongly as we backed them in Kosovo, so join up or when our boys take
over you can kiss your behind goodbye. This, as we have discussed
elsewhere, is the basic 'recruiting' strategy of the U.S. proxy force,
the Kosovo Liberation Army. (6)

If you think this sounds terribly conspiratorial, that a U.S. president
would never promise ethnic harmony and deliver racist terror, just read
the article, "What NATO Occupation Would Mean For Macedonians." Prior to
occupation, NATO promised everything to Serbs in Kosovo. After
occupation, it delivered a nightmare. (7)

MESSAGE THREE: THE U.S. IS READY TO OPENLY SEND IN TROOPS

But perhaps the key thing said by Bush was:

"America's contribution is essential, both militarily and politically."
('N.Y. Times,' 25 July 2001).

Many people were fooled by Bush's election promise to pull out of the
Balkans. Instead of pulling out, he has continued with Clinton's
policies, including the attack on Macedonia and the further encirclement
of Russia with NATO bases. The continuity of these policies from elder
Bush to Clinton to baby Bush means that U.S. policy is not dependent on
the whims or personal economic interests of members of this or that US
presidential administration, but rather is part of far-ranging strategic
goals of the U.S. establishment, that is, the financial interests
usually called Wall Street. The big prize is the former Soviet Union,
the attempted conquest of which requires securing the Balkans as the
southern staging ground for attack.

The "Kosovication" of Macedonia is part of that strategy. Bush's trip
set the stage for a greatly intensified attack, including heightened
demonization of Macedonia in the Western media, and direct NATO
intervention. An ominous note: the U.S. is pulling its Embassy personnel
out of Skopje. That is precisely what the U.S. did before bombing
Yugoslavia. (7)

And of course, the story below says it all: the Macedonians' justified
protests at NATO's sponsorship of terrorist invaders can be used as an
excuse for - NATO invasion!

Below is the report from Agence France Presse (AFP):

JI & RR

Thursday July 26, 9:43 AM

US troops placed on alert after violence in Macedonia

WASHINGTON, July 25 (AFP) - An unspecified number of US troops in Europe
were on alert Wednesday after attacks by irate protesters threatened the
US and other Western embassies in Macedonia, a US defense official said.

"We do have units which have been alerted," the official said on
condition of anonymity, refusing to elaborate.

Any decision whether to seek extra protection rests with US ambassador
to Macedonia, Michael Einik, the official said, though the State
Department was unaware of any such request late Wednesday, an official
with that agency told

The troop alert follows attacks late Tuesday by violent protesters on
embassies in the Macedonian capital of Skopje. A mob of angry Slavs,
incited by allegations NATO tacitly supports ethnic Albanian rebels,
damaged the US and other embassies with hurled projectiles, State
Department officials said.

Despite the attacks, the United States remained determined in its
efforts to help bring peace to Macedonia, though US officials and Balkan
experts privately voiced concern the escalating strife and emergence of
anti-NATO sentiment could complicate facilitating any settlement.

"We continue to reach out to all the political parties in the
multi-ethnic Macedonian government to continue promoting their working
together to find a peaceful solution to this," State Department
spokesman Philip Reeker told reporters.

Reeker added that US special envoy for the Balkans, James Pardew, met
earlier Wednesday with Macedonian President Boris Trajkowski to discuss
the situation.

The mob violence came as clashes between Macedonian security forces and
ethnic Albanian rebels flared anew, while refugees streamed out of the
contested northwestern town of Tetovo as rebels advanced across northern
Macedonia.

The Slav-dominated Macedonian government neither condemned the violence
nor appealed for restraint Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the government of Prime Minister Ljubco Georgievski, an
opponent of Trajkovski's, has accused NATO of siding with the rebels and
of seeking to turn Macedonia into an international protectorate under
the control of the Western alliance.

The State Department refuted the charge.

"These kind of irresponsible press reports... irresponsible, immature
statements from certain political leaders, are not helpful to the
situation," Reeker said, denying that the United States or other NATO
countries backed Albanian rebels.

The administration of President George W. Bush supported Macedonia "in
its territorial integrity, in its sovereignty and in a future as a
multi-ethnic state," Reeker insisted.

Washington has become all too-aware that the feud between Georgievski
and Trajkovski is increasingly compromising the search for peace, with a
top administration official warning that "political agendas aren't going
to have anything to do when they are in the midst of a civil war and
fighting for their lives."

Former National Security Council Balkans analyst Ivo Daalder directly
accused Georgievski of trying to extract political mileage from the
conflict.

"He has no interest in negotiating because he thinks he can win through
the use of force," Daalder told AFP.

"He doesn't want a compromise," making a settlement in Macedonia "more
difficult but not impossible."

Further Reading:

(1) 'AFP' story can be read at
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010726/1/19qib.html

(2) SORRY VIRGINIA BUT THEY ARE NATO TROOPS, NOT 'REBELS' by Jared
Israel with research by Rick Rozoff, George Thompson and Max Sinclair.
Can be read at http://emperors-clothes.com/mac/times2.htm

(3) The Roots of Kosovo Fascism; by George Thompson at
http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/thompson/rootsof.htm

(4) "GERMAN PAPER CHARGES: U.S. IS 'ADVISING' ALBANIAN TERRORISTS" at
http://emperors-clothes.com/docs/advise.htm

(5) "I cannot give it a name but it seems like hell" by a Serbian woman
from Kosovo at http://emperors-clothes.com/misc/name.htm

(6) "What is the KLA Strategy in Kosovo" - Interview with a Kosovo
Historian who explains the nature of the "offer" the KLA makes to get
Albanians to join up. Can be read at
http://emperors-clothes.com/interviews/strategy.htm

(7) What NATO Occupation Would Mean For Macedonians." Interview with
eyewitnesses tells what happened to a Kosovo town after NATO - and its
KLA - took over in July, 1999. Every citizin of a NATO country should
read this for it tells what has been down in our names. At
http://www.emperors-clothes.com/misc/savethe-a.htm

***

Articles Documenting U.S./Euro/Terrorist Link in Assault on Macedonia
[24 July 2001] A must-read list of articles with brief descriptions. The
U.S. and its Euro allies are waging terrrorist war in Macedonia and have
kidnapped the former head of state of Yugoslavia. And this is just the
year 'One.' At http://emperors-clothes.com/mac/list-m.htm

Click here for Emperor's Clothes Email list - We'll Send you About One
Emperor's Clothes Article a Day

URGENT APPEAL! 23 JULY

TO THOSE WHO HAVE DONATED TO OUR FUNDRAISING APPEAL - THANK YOU!

BUT EMPEROR'S CLOTHES STILL URGENTLY NEEDS HELP!

The George Soros Foundation does not fund Emperor's Clothes. Our only
source of money is people like you. All contributions help.

Our work has expanded but our income has not kept pace. We are now
several months behind on long distance and international phone bills,
and other expenses as well. If everyone who cares about Emperor's
Clothes chips in, we'll be out of trouble in no time.

If everyone chips in - $20, $50, $100 or $1000 - we'll be out of danger
in no time.

Here's how you can help...

1 - The easiest and most reliable way - Call us any time at (USA)
617-916-1705 and we will take your credit card information over the
phone.

2 - OR use our secure server at
http://emperors-clothes.com/howyour.html#donate

3 - Or mail us a check - to Emperor's Clothes, P.O. Box 610-321, Newton,
MA 02461-0321. (USA)

If you mail a donation or make one by secure server, please let us know
by email at [EMAIL PROTECTED], just to make sure we get it. Thanks!

Thank you for reading Emperor's Clothes.

To browse articles from the Website, click here.

www.tenc.net
[Emperor's Clothes]

                                   Serbian News Network - SNN

                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]