http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/print_011405_ns_mell_blago.html

 ABC7 Chicago

Family feud heats up for Blagojevich, Mell

Accusations could lead to court battle

The family feud between Governor Blagojevich and his father-in-law, Alderman Dick Mell, could end up in court. The governor and his chief fundraiser are fighting back against allegations by Mell that state appointments were handed out in exchange for contributions to the governor's campaign.

The governor is trying to keep a dark cloud of scandal and corruption from drenching his carefully-crafted reform image by putting the squeeze on his father-in-law even though it is likely to exacerbate a family feud that is already a 10 on the nasty scale. In the latest development, Blagojevich's chief fundraiser threatening to sue Mell with the help of a powerful lawyer, who is also one of the governor's biggest contributors.

"The bottom line is very definitely, absolutely 100% no. I have never even approached the appearance of requesting a donor contribution with any consideration of any appointment ," said Chris Kelly, Blagojevich contributor.

The governor's chief fundraiser, south suburban businessman Chris Kelly, is demanding a public retraction from alderman Dick Mell. Mell accused Kelly of trading appointments to state boards and commissions for $50,000 campaign contributions. Kelly's hired a prominent lawyer and Blagojevich ally to sue Mell for defamation of character and invasion of privacy if Mell refuses.

" If he doesn't come forward with the truth to acknowledge that these remarks were baseless then litigation for defamation will follow," said Bob Clifford, attorney and contributor.

"At some point you need to do the right thing and get out there and tell the truth," said Governor Rod Blagojevich. Blagojevich said he welcomes the multiple investigations of Mell's allegations by the Illinois attorney general, the Cook County state's attorney and his own inspector general. He is standing by his decision to shut down a Joliet landfill operated by family members, including Mell, even though it precipitated a family feud and nasty allegations of government for sale.

"I could have acted like Governor Ryan, looked the other way, ignored it, done nothing. But when I heard about it and I heard things weren't right over there, we acted. I stand by what I did and I'm not at all surprised with what came my way after I did it," said Governor Blagojevich.

The governor says he is willing to take the heat from his own family to protect the public. But this is also about protecting his reform image and his political career on the eve of a re-election campaign.

ABC 7 hasn't been able to reach Alderman Mell this afternoon but his attorney says they're weighing their options and if there's a lawsuit, they'll fight it vigorously.

Last Updated: Jan 14, 2005