["a draconian resolution that would not have been accepted by any state that
was not under direct threat of armed attack". SOUND FAMILIAR !!!]

Today, anger wells up within him when he watches the moving images emanating
from Iraq of death, destruction and destitution. Blix says he feels sympathy
for innocent civilians caught up in the Iraqi quagmire.

As he stated explicitly in his 2004 bombshell Disarming Iraq: The Search for
Weapons of Mass Destruction, Blix maintains that during the last few months
before the invasion of Iraq, the Iraqi authorities fully cooperated with the
UN inspectors.

"The Iraqis cooperated on procedure even though they couldn't present us
with documentary evidence. This was very strange because Iraq was a country
with very good book-keeping," Blix noted.

He acknowledged that Baghdad put up with UN Security Council Resolution 1441
which he describes as "a draconian resolution that would not have been
accepted by any state that was not under direct threat of armed attack".

Al-Ahram via Information Clearing House:

'We told them we could not find evidence'

Almost two years after the invasion of Iraq, Hans Blix denounced the US for
opting for military intervention over inspection.

By Gamal Nkrumah and Dina Ezzat

http://207.44.245.159/article8027.htm

02/10/05 "Al-Ahram" - - Nobody could accuse Hans Blix of slacking in his
last days on the job. Exactly two years this week the former United Nations
Monitoring, Verification Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC) chief faced former
US Secretary of State Colin Powell at the explosive UN Security Council
session of 5 February 2003 in which a straight-faced Powell brandished a
little glass tube that allegedly contained material that provided evidence
that the Iraqis under Saddam Hussein developed chemical weapons. Powell so
desperately wanted to convince the UN Security Council to pass a resolution
sanctioning military intervention in Iraq.

Powell hoped that pulling a little trick he would at least impress Blix and
Mohamed El- Baradie, the Egyptian-born director of the International Atomic
Energy Agency (IAEA), who were supervising the search for the alleged Iraqi
chemical, biological and nuclear weapons of mass destruction. Obviously, the
experts knew better. The Americans were behaving impetuously, Blix and
El-Baradie concurred, insisting that they had not been able to find a shred
of evidence supporting Iraq's alleged possession of weapons of mass
destruction.

Notwithstanding Blix's protests, five weeks after Powell's remonstrations at
the UN, the US invaded Iraq in what Blix describes as "a pre- meditated but
not pre-determined war". With the US-led invasion of Iraq, the international
inspectors never returned to Iraq. The US conducted its own inspection
instead.

America's search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq was in vain. A
little over two weeks ago, the White House declared that it suspended the
search for the lethal weapons and that no such weapons were found in Iraq.
"We [as international inspectors] could have concluded our search with the
same results," Blix told Al-Ahram Weekly. "International inspection under
the auspices of the UN would not have cost that much money, blood or
suffering," he added.

The US was determined to go to war, Blix told the Weekly. "But the chance of
finding evidence of weapons of mass destruction was fast receding," Blix
said. "We told them we could not find evidence. We could not have said then
that there were no weapons," he added.

"International inspection came closer to truth than the intelligence
agencies of the world's most powerful nations," Blix pointedly stated.
<...>

                                   Serbian News Network - SNN

                                        news@antic.org

                                    http://www.antic.org/