MONTENEGRO: A FARCE, AND PERHAPS A TRAGEDY IN THE MAKING Srdja Trifkovic

When Ambassador James Bissett, Professor Ronald Hatchett and I accepted an
invitation to give public lectures in Montenegro as guests of the Movement
for the Common State of Serbia and Montenegro, we knew that what we had to
say would not be welcomed by the separatist government of Prime Minister
Milo Djukanovic. Knowing that passions are running high in this deeply
divided land, we were careful to make sure that what we say is reasonable
and true.

Arriving in the wake of countless foreign “experts” who had supported the
cause of Montenegrin separatism, we believed that it was both proper and
necessary to present an alternative point of view.  In four hectic days
(July 3-6), we and our colleagues from Greece and Russia presented a total
of seven panels, in Podgorica (twice), Niksic, Budva, Bar, Kotor, and Herceg
Novi.

Ambassador Bissett’s focus was on the Canadian legislation for any future
referendum on the independence of Quebec. In a normal place, and within a
normal debate, his detailed account of Canada’s Clarity Act would have been
welcomed by all parties as a valuable contribution to the issue of who
should have the right to vote in a referendum, what exact question should be
asked, and what constitutes a “clear majority.”

Professor Hatchett’s parallel between various dangers facing an independent
Montenegro, and the sobering experience of the Former Yugoslav Republic of
Macedonia in the first decade of its independence, was based on an informed
and insightful analysis of the dynamics that are at work in both places. In
particular Dr. Hatchett pointed out that the threat of greater Albanian
chauvinism – which has already turned one-third of Macedonia into an area
effectively ungovernable from Skopje – would not spare Montenegro. If the
state of Texas, with its 24 million people, a powerful economy, and the
legal right to secede, realized the peril of independent statehood in an
uncertain world – Dr. Hatchett concluded – then it would be advisable for
the tiny Montenegro, with its 650,000 people earning $200 a month on
average, to think twice before separating.

My own presentation was focused on the experience of two small but
culturally and historically important European nations that inhabit clearly
defined countries but do not enjoy sovereign statehood. Neither Catalonia
nor Scotland is deprived of any element of meaningful nationhood by virtue
of being in a common state with other nations that share similar
geopolitical and economic interests. The dynamics of their social, economic,
and political development are not impeded from Madrid or London, which is
proven by the failure of separatists to capture a significant segment of the
vote in either country. I was also careful to point out that the intention
of the Montenegrin government to exclude its citizens resident in Serbia for
the referendum – one third of the electorate! – was unacceptable under
international democratic standards, most recently exemplified by the
participation of French and Dutch citizens resident abroad in the referendum
on the European Union’s constitution last May.

The reaction of the controlled media in Podgorica to our efforts was
depressingly predictable. To give you some flavor of the place, on only one
day (July 6) the leading pro-government daily “Vijesti” compared us to a
bunch of Mein Kampf-reading thugs in a Munich beer hall in the early 1930s;
the semi-official “Pobjeda” daily accused us of performing for a small
fistful of dollars; while Prime Minister Djukanovic himself stated that he
did not mind our visit because, in his view, our musings would only
strengthen the cause of independence.

Someone did mind, however, and the scandalous article described by Tom
Fleming in his post was published only one day after our departure from
Podgorica:
http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/cgi-bin/hardright.cgi/2005/07/09/Dictator_
Threatens_

Contrary to Tom’s advice, however, and that of many other friends and
associates, I am going back to Podgorica tomorrow (July 12) to hold a press
conference and challenge the authorities to arrest me, or else to admit that
the allegations are false. I have already sent a letter to Djukanovic
inviting him to denounce the allegations, especially since he is now
implicated thanks to the incriminated article claiming his Cabinet as the
source of the forged letter. A more stringent demand was made in a letter
sent to Djukanovic by Ambassador Bissett:

“If it is true that the existence of this forged letter was leaked to the
media by members of your Cabinet – as claimed by the paper that has
published it - then I would further respectfully ask that you order an
immediate investigation to uncover those of your subordinates responsible
for such an outrage. Your reputation and that of your Government stands to
be condemned by Western governments, institutions and media if your personal
intervention is not forthcoming.”

Dr. Trifkovic opposes the separation of Montenegro from Serbia, Bissett
wrote, “but he has always been forthright and honest in his opposition and
has done so through reasoned argument and peaceful discourse”:

“The accusation contained in the forged letter is not only monstrous, it is
ridiculous. That any responsible newspaper would publish such unadulterated
and vicious fiction reflects poorly not only on the newspaper concerned but
also on Montenegro itself. As Prime Minister, and since you have become
personally implicated, it is only proper that you take steps to publicly
condemn this forgery and bring those responsible for its publication to
justice.”

In view of another paranoid article that appeared in the semi-official
“Pobjeda” daily on Saturday, July 9, claiming that a detailed plan to
instigate violence in Montenegro is being masterminded from Chicago, it is
obvious that the accusations against me are not a red herring: they reflect
a sustained campaign the like of which does not exist anywhere in Europe,
and even world-wide may find a rival only in Pyongyang.

Hell-bent as I am now to get this matter sorted out once and for all, I have
engaged a foremost Podgorica lawyer, Milorad Ivanovic, to sue the paper. I
have also spoken to the American Embassy in Belgrade and to the U.S.
Consulate in Podgorica, pointing out that the Montenegrin press is
effectively accusing the United States of harboring terrorists and would-be
assassins. An official at the Consulate, T.J. Grubisha, told me that the
U.S. will not comment on the affair at this stage, but he has reiterated the
view of the State Department that my colleagues and I have engaged in a
legitimate public debate on certain issues that are of interest beyond the
borders of Serbia and Montenegro.

The debate is sorely needed, and the government of Montenegro is doing its
best to stifle it by means that reflect its nervousness, even panic. On this
form it is not fit to be accepted into “Europe,” or any other institution
that claims to uphold democracy and human rights. I would still welcome a
frank but respectful debate with the proponents of Montenegrin separatism.
So far I have not encountered any willing interlocutors, however. Perhaps
they do exist, but for as long as they allow the upholders of thuggery,
muggery, and buggery to dominate the public discourse in Podgorica, their
cause will remain tainted by lies and criminality.

If you have any useful thoughts or insightful comments on this matter,
perhaps Prime Minister Djukanovic would welcome a word from you:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax: 011-381-81-242-329

                                   Serbian News Network - SNN

                                        news@antic.org