DEFENDING THE TRUTH ABOUT THE JASENOVAC CONCENTRATION CAMP IN THE INDEPENDENT STATE OF CROATIA

 (Letter No. 1)

This letter is written and addressed to you by three Jewish survivors of the death camp Jasenovac in the Nazi Independent State of Croatia during the Second World War who are still alive in Serbia:

Cadik Danon,

the architect, who escaped from the Jasenovac concentration camp in 1942

Bozo Svarc

the retired colonel of the Yugoslav Army, who escaped from the Jasenovac concentration camp in the same year

and

Josif Erlih

the retired major of the Yugoslav Army, who was held in Jasenovac to the very bitter end and participated in the break out on 22 of April 1945 when the Croat fascist guards started slaughtering all remaining prisoners

DECEIT AND BLACKMAIL

            We wish to advise you with some delay about the deliberation of the Executive Committee of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Serbia and Monte Negro on the motion of our group 25 survivors condemning the participation of Mr. Aleksandar Mosic in the lawsuit against the creators of the Proceedings of he First International Conference on Jasenovac, held in New York in October 1997.  We asked the Executive Committee to remove Mr Mosic from his position of Chairman of the Memorial Commission of the Federation if he does not withdrew his suit based on the inclusion in the book of his paper submitted at the Conference without his prior permission.

            The delay with which we are advising you that the Executive Committee of the Federation doped this case was due to a deception performed by Mr Mosic and a blackmail by him and three other plaintiffs: Jasenovac Research Institute headed by Mr Barry Lituchy, Memory Films Production of Mr Joseph Friendly and Mr. Antun Miletic, a historian from Croatia living in Serbia.

            During the discussion on our motion Mr Mosic produced a document showing that the accused creator of the Proceedings Mr Petar Makara settled. Mr Mosic created the impression among the members of the EC that the lawsuit is finished and that three are no reasons to continue the deliberations about Mr Mosic's action.

            However, Mr Mosic provided only half of the information. He did not reveal to the EC that the second accused, Mrs Wanda Schindley, did not settle and that the court action (trial) in fact continues.

            In addition to revealing the terms of the settlement to which Mr Makara agreed, Mr Mosic produced at the meeting a second document in which the four plaintiffs declare that they still did not sign the settlement and that they will not do it until the Jewish Federation does not stop deliberating the case against Mr Mosic.

            Such a blackmail tied our hands. It prevented us from asking immediately a renewal of the deliberations and informing the public about what happened. We knew that Mr Makara did not settle because the fate of he book became indifferent to him.  He was forced to do it in order to safeguard the family savings for the education of their two sons. Mr Makara has spent in total $40,000 of which $10,000 for the printing of the book, $20,000 for his lawyer ad legal fees and had to disburse additional $10.000 to Mr Lituchy's lawyer under the terms of the settlement.  We did not want to spoil his chances to keep the remaining family savings and decided to wait until the court meeting on 2nd of March convoked for possible settlements. The time gap of 9 days between 21 of February when Mr Makara signed the settlement and the 2nd of March was created because Mr Makara's lawyer, Mr MIchael D. Assaf*, did not secure that the other side signs simultaneously with Mr Makara. They used the nine days to prepare and perform the blackmail. The Lituchy's camp signed only on the very eve of the court meeting, on March 2nd.

            With Mr Makara out of the denger, we are now free to tell what has happened and resume our action to save the book.  The most remarkable fact is that Mrs Wanda Schindley informed the President of the Jewish Federation Mr Aca Singer, the same night after the failed meeting of the Executive Committee, that she did not settle and that she will continue her fight for the free distribution of the Proceedings of the Jasenovac conference.

Her letter reads as follows:

Mr. Aca Singer

President of the Jewish Federation in Belgrade

Dear Mr. Singer,

            I have been advised of the meeting in which discussion of Mr. Mosic's participation in the lawsuit against the proceedings book of the 1997 conference in New York was cancelled because Petar Makara settled. Please know that Mr. Makara settled independently, but I will continue to fight for the free distribution of the conference book as a historical record of the conference. The book in question is under temporary injunction until the matter can be resolved through settlement or litigation; however, I will never settle and allow the book to be "banned." The book contains every word spoken at the conference and in post-conference interviews or submitted in writing from the twelve brave survivors who attended the conference and represents hundreds of hours of volunteer work and thousands of dollars in contributions.

            Eight of those who spoke at the conference died since the conference: Delibasic in August of 1998; Huber in February of 1999; Sajer in November of 2001; Petrovic in February of 2003; Ivanisevic in August of 2003; and Sabolic, Despot, and Vejnovic in 2005. I feel an obligation to those survivors and the dear heroes Mr. Danon, Mr. Erlih, and Mr. Svarc to continue this fight to preserve the book at all costs to memorialise forever their testimonies at the conference.

            The people who worked on and contributed to this book wish to contribute voluntarily and would not think of making a profit or taking money for work on Jasenovac or any Holocaust studies.

            Please consider this case because I can hardly imagine that Mr Mosic who, by his action, is suppressing the spreading of the truth about the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of Serbs, Jews, and Roma in Jasenovac would lead by this example. I ask the Federation to continue deliberating, and I am willing to defend each of the charges against the conference book. I will not settle until the conference book is freed from injunction and can be reprinted and further distributed and will spend the rest of my life working on the tragic history of the Second World War, a history that is, I believe, extremely relevant in today's world.

            Best regards,

            Wanda Schindley, PhD

            Wanda Schindley persisted in her brave position at the court meeting on the 2nd of March. She declared that she would accept the settlement only if Mr Lituchy apologises to all against whom he sued, leaves the Jasenovac Research Institute and returnees it to its founders.

            Mr Makara also wrote to Mr Singer the same evening of 26 of February declaring that he did not sent any letter to the Jewish Federation and did not authorise any person to reveal publicly the terms of his settlement, and that such revelation represents a grave infringement.

            Now we felt free to continue our action against the people who prevented the free distribution of a unique book in English on the horrors of Jasenovac and created the danger of its permanent banning.

*Michael D. Assaf

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

O’Connell and Aronowitz

54 State Street