http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080207/EDITORIAL
/634418480/1013
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080207/EDITORIA
L/634418480/1013&template=nextpage> &template=nextpage

The Washington Times

Letters to the Editor

Dealing with Kosovo

The Jan. 31 analysis and recommendations by John Bolton, Lawrence
Eagleburger and Peter Rodman ("Warning light on Kosovo," Commentary) offer
indeed a rare, clear, rational and realistic assessment of the Kosovo
dilemma. One can only hope that these warnings will be taken most seriously
by the administration. But will they?

In dealing with the crisis in the Balkans for the past 15 years, this and
previous administrations have implemented a profoundly flawed strategy based
on double standards and devoid of a longterm view of the larger national
interest of the United States. The current problem with the Serbian province
Kosovo is a result of these policies, which are still implemented to a large
measure by the same officials who have been involved with this flawed
strategy since the 1990s. This is why I am skeptical that the urgent and
wise call by three past foreign-policy officials and experts for
reassessment of America's Kosovo policy will not be heeded.

The commentary very skillfully and correctly presented the crux of the
problem and its potential consequences for the United States and the
European Union. It is particularly encouraging also to note their concern
with our ongoing policy of frequently demeaning and unnecessarily provoking
the Russian Federation, the policy they obviously and rightly question.

MICHAEL DJORDJEVICH

San Rafael, Calif.