<mailto:yourlett...@washingtontimes.com> yourlett...@washingtontimes.com

<http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/09/recognition-of-kosovo-a-boon-for-terrorists/comments/>

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/09/recognition-of-kosovo-a-boon-for-terrorists/comments/
 (comments)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/09/recognition-of-kosovo-a-boon-for-terrorists/

 <http://www.washingtontimes.com/> The Washington Times

Recognition of Kosovo a boon for terrorists

March 9, 2010

Thank you for publishing Julia Gorin's excellent column on Albanian blackmail
of U.S. leaders vis-a-vis Kosovo ("The blackmail of America," Opinion,
Thursday). It was an accurate portrayal of the sort rarely seen in our
mainstream media.

The illegal recognition of Kosovo's independence initiated by our government
stands as one of the greatest failures and embarrassments of our foreign
policy. It continues to haunt us in the form of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001,
the Madrid train bombings, attempted attacks on Fort Dix and the London bus
bombings (among numerous other examples). That our State Department initially
proclaimed the Kosovo Liberation Army to be a terrorist drug-running group and
then suddenly switched its position to support the group speaks volumes about
our leaders. They were not interested in pursuing true justice and resolving a
decades-old conflict but instead were interested in stealing territory from the
Serbs to establish the largest U.S. base outside of America (Camp Bondsteel) to
use against Russia and to protect the AMBO oil pipeline, being constructed
through Kosovo.

By assenting to Albanian extremist demands, we have set an example for the
world: The borders of sovereign nations can indeed be altered by terrorism, and
international law is meaningless. We have created a terrorist safe haven that
will always be a failed, landlocked and impoverished territory with plenty of
desperate Muslim extremists and anti-Western recruits. We also have established
a road map for irredentists in our own nation.

I strongly encourage President Obama to learn what is really going on in Kosovo
and rescind our recognition of Kosovo's independence. Only honest compromise on
both sides - not just the long-suffering Serbs - will enable a peaceful
resolution to this long-standing conflict. If the Albanians try to blackmail
him against doing this, he can wash his hands of the region and let the Serbs
and Albanians find a solution on their own.

MICHAEL PRAVICA

Henderson, Nev.

<<image001.gif>>