From: webmas...@ahepa.org
To: tsarni...@aol.com
Sent: 03/31/2010 11:48:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: AHEPA Condemns Vandalism of Oakland's Greek Orthodox Cathedral

  Dear Brothers, Sisters, and friends of the AHEPA Family:

              For Immediate Release
              Wednesday, March 31, 2010 Contact: AHEPA Headquarters
              Phone: (202) 232-6300
              Email: pr...@ahepa.org

        News Release

        AHEPA Condemns
        Vandalism of Oakland's Greek Orthodox Cathedral
        WASHINGTON - Nicholas A. Karacostas, supreme president of the American
Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA), a leading association for
the nation's three million American citizens of Greek heritage, and countless
Philhellenes, issued the following statement regarding the racist graffiti
found spray-painted on the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Ascension in
Oakland, Calif. on Palm Sunday, March 28, 2010:
        "We strongly condemn the vandalism of Oakland's Greek Orthodox
Cathedral of the Ascension that included the spray-painting of racist symbols,
including a Swastika. This is simply unacceptable and an outrage.
        "We commend the strength of the congregation to go forward with Holy
Week services and to come together to remove the racist graffiti from the
church's walls.
        "We welcome the Oakland Police Department's official ruling that the
graffiti attack is a hate crime, which means a more thorough investigation of
the incident will be conducted. We call for Oakland's public officials to
condemn this act of racism and vandalism. We also call for the swift
apprehension of the perpetrators of this incomprehensible act."
        Parishioners of the cathedral arrived for Palm Sunday services to find
a giant Swastika, profanity, and other racial epithets spray-painted on the
churches outside walls, according to an Associated Press report.
        ###

        AHEPA is the largest Greek-American association in the world with
chapters in the United States, Canada, Greece, Cyprus, and sister chapters in
Australia and New Zealand. It was established in 1922 by visionary Greek
Americans to protect Hellenes from prejudice originating from the KKK, and in
its history, AHEPA joined with the NAACP and B'nai B'rith International to
fight discrimination.
        The mission of the AHEPA family is to promote the ancient Greek ideals
of education, philanthropy, civic responsibility and family and individual
excellence through community service and volunteerism.
        For more information about the AHEPA family, or how to join, please
contact AHEPA Headquarters, (202) 232-6300, or visit www.ahepa.org.

        This is an electronic news service of the American Hellenic Educational
Progressive Association.
        For more information visit the AHEPA Online Headquarters at
www.ahepa.org.
        1909 Q Street, NW Washington, DC 20009 Tel: 202-232-6300 Fax:
202-232-2140 Email: ah...@ahepa.org

              Forward email

              This email was sent to tsarni...@aol.com by webmas...@ahepa.org.
              Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribeâ„¢ | Privacy Policy. Email Marketing by

              AHEPA | 1909 Q Street, NW Suite 500 | Washington | DC | 20009