I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet (link at bottom) but it looks very
interesting:

The recent history of the Balkans is a curious thing. The overwhelming majority
of news accounts and books and scholarly papers -- not to mention the
unofficial tilt of the ICTY, the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former
Yugoslavia, located in the Hague -- follow a sparklingly clear narrative: the
Serbs, under Slobodan Milosevic (the "Butcher of the Balkans"), tried to create
a "Greater Serbia." Although they failed, in the process Serbia launched wars
of aggression against Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, and Kosovo. Moreover, in
Bosnia the Serbs committed Genocide. UN intervention failed to resolve the
conflict but NATO cleaned things up. NATO's 1999 bombing of Belgrade helped.
Over a decade later some loose ends remain in Bosnia and Kosovo, and perhaps
elsewhere, but the fire has been extinguished.

There is, however, a different view of things. One that I came to through my
travels inside Bosnia during the war. One that many senior officials in the
U.S. government, and other governments, shared, both at the time and up through
the present. This alternative narrative, however, has never gained much
traction -- most outside observers might therefore easily assume, incorrectly,
that it has no respectability whatsoever...

Not to set the record straight (that would be impossible), but to give
listeners a sense of how things might otherwise appear, I talk with Dr. Steven
E. Meyer. Steven was with the CIA for many years and in the 1990s he was the
Deputy Director of the Interagency Balkan Task Force. He's now a professor at
the National Defense University. And I hasten to add: Steven is not by any
means the only one from CIA to have this perspective. At some point, perhaps
this year or next, I hope to interview David Kanin, a friendly acquaintance,
who during the war years was the top fellow for the Balkans at the CIA, who
later went on to more senior positions and who's very recently retired. If that
happens, you'll see that David tells pretty much the same story about Balkan
complexities...

I hope you enjoy this one.

As always, please feel free to forward the link.

Best,

g.

http://www.electricpolitics.com/podcast/2010/04/bosnia_redux.html
<http://ethreemail.com/e3ds/mail_link.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electricpolitics.com%2Fpodcast%2F2010%2F04%2Fbosnia_redux.html&i=0&d=7Z81U6Y0-W397-4987-YWXX-YZ1W7YW11W9V&e=...@tjfenton.plus.com>