http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n220328

Focus News Agency
May 20, 2010

Serbia's future lies in EU, NATO: Rasmussen

Sofia: NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen urged Serbia Thursday to consider
joining the transatlantic military alliance and the EU, saying the Balkan
country's future lay in greater integration with Europe, AFP reported.

"We all know that for understandable historical reasons, there might be some
scepticism in Serbia as regards of a relationship with NATO," Rasmussen said
during a one-day visit to the Bulgarian capital.

"I would urge not only the Serb political leadership, but the Serb people to
look into the future, to consider the situation carefully and to draw the
conclusion that the future for Serbia lies within integration with the
euro-atlantic community - NATO and the EU."

Public opinion in Serbia is strongly against NATO membership, mostly due to
NATO's 1999 bombing campaign....

In a recent survey released by the TNS Medium Gallup agency in February, more
than two-thirds of Serbs still oppose any future NATO membership.

"Serbia is a European country, its future is within that community and I will
do my utmost - I know it has to be a step-by-step approach driven by demands
from the Serb side - but I would very much like to see progress," the NATO
chief said.

Rasmussen, who became NATO's secretary general last August, said his mission
"is to see all countries in the Balkans integrated in the euro-Atlantic
structures NATO and the EU."

There were already plans for Bosnia and Hercegovina and Montenegro join the
alliance.

And "I hope to see progress in our relationship with Serbia as well," he said.

As for Macedonia, "it's not for NATO to facilitate further progress," Rasmussen
said.

"We have made the decision that we are ready to start negotiations with Skopje
once a satisfactory solution to the name dispute has been found. But this is
primarily a question between Skopje and Athens."

Bulgaria, which joined NATO in 2004, could play a "crucial" role in getting
other Balkan countries to join, he continued.

It could "give advice within NATO and can engage the relevant parties in the
Balkans," he said.