Serbian opposition calls for elections

KRUSEVAC, Serbia, June 29 (UPI) --

The leaders of Serbia's opposition parties say early parliamentary elections
are needed to solve the many problems facing their country.

 <http://www.upi.com/topic/Tomislav_Nikolic/> Tomislav Nikolic, leader of the
SerbProgressive Party, told a rally in Krusevac that "Serbia has been moving
backwards over the last year," Serbian broadcaster B92 reported Tuesday.

"We are not asking to rule," Nikolic said. "We are asking for
<http://www.upi.com/Top_News/International/2010/06/29/Serbian-opposition-calls-for-elections/UPI-52661277818815/>
 elections."

He said opposition parties will soon begin a new campaign to press for early
elections.

 <http://www.upi.com/topic/Velimir_Ilic/> Velimir Ilic, the leader of New
Serbia, said the current government is "moving away from Europe."

Ilic said the solution to the country's high unemployment rate and poverty is a
new
<http://www.upi.com/Top_News/International/2010/06/29/Serbian-opposition-calls-for-elections/UPI-52661277818815/>
 government that would create a strong and organized Serbia.

Nearly 10,000 people from all parts of the country traveled to Krusevac to
attend the Monday rally.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/International/2010/06/29/Serbian-opposition-calls-for-elections/UPI-52661277818815/