Subject: U.S. Desperate for Viable Kosovo Extradition Treaty to Turn to:
“Wasn’t there, like, a Serbian Kingdom or Something?” - by Julia Gorin

Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 8:57 AM

...  I added: Ooooooooops! Looks like someone forgot to make provisions for how
we would extradite all those U.S.-sponsored independent Kosovars who would be
striking against the U.S.  ...

 <http://www.juliagorin.com/wordpress/?p=2386>
http://www.juliagorin.com/wordpress/?p=2386

 <http://www.juliagorin.com/wordpress/?p=2386> U.S. Desperate for Viable Kosovo
Extradition Treaty to Turn to: “Wasn’t there, like, a Serbian Kingdom or
Something?”

by Julia Gorin      July 17th 2010

In a follow-up to  <http://www.juliagorin.com/wordpress/?p=2373> this recent
post, EU judges helping out with Kosovo “law and order” have again refused an
extradition request by the U.S. for Bajram Asllani, involved with the North
Carolina Eight, headed by Daniel Boyd and involving a Bosnian and another
Albanian.

As I commented at the time, U.S. Tries to Restore Serbian Sovereignty over
U.S.-supported “Independent” Kosovo:

Prosecutors were relying on a 2001 agreement between the U.S. and Serbia, but
Kosovo has since declared its independence and isn’t bound by that agreement,
the judge ruled.

I added: Ooooooooops! Looks like someone forgot to make provisions for how we
would extradite all those U.S.-sponsored independent Kosovars who would be
striking against the U.S. Or did we not expect them to do that, given that
anti-Serb terrorists aren’t real terrorists?

BUT NOW GET THIS! Since turning to the 2001 agreement between the U.S. and
Serbia didn’t work, the U.S. is shooting for 1901!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Check it out:

<http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iTHoZXdiB0mr3b44dVOirx6h-uHgD9H07MG02>
 Judges won’t extradite Kosovo terror suspect to US

By NEBI QENA (AP) – July 16, 2010

PRISTINA, Kosovo — A panel of international judges on Friday decided not to
extradite a Kosovo terror suspect to the United States on legal grounds and
then set him free, a European Union official said.

Nicholas Hawton said the U.S. request to extradite 29-year-old ethnic Albanian
Bajram Asllani did not demonstrate “well-grounded suspicions” that he plotted
terrorist attacks. The panel also ruled Friday there was no valid extradition
treaty between the two countries.

The extradition request was made on the basis of a 1901 treaty between the US
and the former Kingdom of Serbia.
…
The judges ruled that “providing material support to terrorists” is not listed
in the treaty as a criminal offense, so there were no grounds for Asllani’s
extradition, said Hawton, spokesman for the EU rule of law mission in Kosovo.

Imagine that! The 1901 treaty didn’t say anything about “providing material
support to terrorists.” But thanks for reaching. (And we have to reach pretty
far and low to get around our own handiwork in Kosovo.)

I swear, it’s almost like the EU mission there — more intimately acquainted
with the challenges of babysitting America’s darling demon child — is having a
bit of fun at U.S. expense. Just to make a point.

Hey, since 1901 is suddenly relevant again, maybe our “leaders” should take a
<http://www.juliagorin.com/wordpress/?p=1291> closer look at that year in the
same region. From Andy Wilcoxson’s book manuscript about the Milosevic trial:

On September 9, 1901, a British diplomatic cable sent to the Marquess of
Lansdowne said: “Old Serbia [Kosovo] is still a restive region because of the
Albanians’ lawlessness, vengeance and racial hatred.”

So maybe by 2101, our ruling elite will finally admit that we backed the wrong
horse? Nah!

Meanwhile, one really has to ask: If we supported and support a 2001 agreement
with Serbia — under which our understanding seems to be that Kosovo was part of
Serbia — then what changed between 2001 and 2008, when we insisted on Kosovo
independence and emphasized that it’s “impossible” that Kosovo ever be part of
Serbia again? Between 2001 and 2008, what on earth changed or led to a change
in Kosovo’s status in our eyes? There is no good answer here. Other than
Albanian violence being stepped up.

So it seems that not only does UN Res. 1244 affirm Serbian sovereignty over
Kosovo, but the U.S. has done so itself.

Anyway, here is the rest of the no-extradition news item:

…In Raleigh, U.S. attorney George Holding said the decision would now be
reviewed by the Supreme Court of Kosovo.

“I’m disappointed,” Holding said. “However, this is just one step in the
process.”

Asllani can appeal a possible decision by the Supreme Court to extradite him to
the U.S., where he faces a maximum of 40 years in prison if convicted.

Kosovo is mostly Muslim, but its estimated 2 million ethnic Albanians are
strongly pro-American due to the U.S.’s leading role in NATO’s 1999 bombing of
Serb forces that paved the way for Kosovo to secede.

Asllani was initially arrested by Kosovo police in 2007 on suspicion of terror
but then released for lack of evidence. He was convicted in absentia by a
Serbian court in Sept. 2009 for planning terrorist-related offenses and was
sentenced to eight years.

Last month, he was arrested again in Kosovo in connection with the North
Carolina case.

International agreements concluded when Kosovo was not an independent country
are endorsed by Kosovo’s Constitutional Court. But Kosovo’s constitution
forbids the extradition of its citizens to other countries without a prior
bilateral agreement.

In an almost poetically parallel news item from December, it seems Albanians
want to be Serbian citizens again for a minute:

 <http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/main/analysis/24161/> Serbia Snubs Albanians
Seeking Visa-Free Travel

Bujanovac | 04 December 2009 | By Jeton Ismaili

EU decision to lift visa restrictions on Serbian citizens is prompting Kosovo
Albanians to claim they live in South Serbia, so they can access the benefits –
but very few succeed.

Leon Osmani, aged 30, was born in South Serbia but has been living with his
family in the Kosovo capital of Pristina for the last 25 years.

Ever since he heard the news that Brussels proposed to lift the requirement for
Serbian citizens to obtain visas for the Schengen zone, he has been trying to
change address.

He filed a request with the police in Serbia to change his official residence
to his grandfather’s home in the mainly Albanian town of Bujanovac in Southern
Serbia.

“They accepted my documentation as valid but my request was denied, oddly
enough,” Osmani complains. The official explanation was that the data submitted
in his request was incorrect.

Osmani is not the only Albanian in Kosovo trying to claim residence in Serbia
as a result of the EU decision.

The reason is that the EU decision on November 30 to lift the Schengen visa
regime on certain countries in the Western Balkans is highly selective.

It applies to Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro but not to Bosnia and
Herzegovina, Kosovo or Albania. [For
<http://www.juliagorin.com/wordpress/?p=1606> good reason, some might say.]
…
The new visa regime does not even apply to residents of Kosovo who have Serbian
biometric passports.

That is why an increasing number of people from Kosovo have been trying to
exchange addresses in Kosovo for official residence in Presevo and Bujanovac,
two Albanian-majority municipalities in Southern Serbia.

Police in Presevo and Bujanovac say the largest number of applications has come
from people born in Southern Serbia who later moved to Kosovo. But the list of
applicants also includes people who never lived in Southern Serbia.

Most requests get nowhere. The police, working under the Serbian Interior
Ministry, usually turn them down, saying they do not believe these applicants
have any intention of permanently residing or working in Serbia.

Eshref Duraku is one of the disappointed applicants. Coming from Gnjilan, in
southeast Kosovo, he had no prior connection to Southern Serbia but says a man
from Bujanovac agreed to register him at his own address as a subtenant.

“My only goal was to get a Serbian passport to use the right to travel without
a visa regime,” he admits. “I wanted to visit relatives in Austria and find a
job there.” He did not succeed. Police in the nearest big town in Southern
Serbia, Vranje, denied his request for permanent resident status in Bujanovac.
…
Stojanca Arsic, a leading Serbian deputy in the Bujanovac local assembly,
defends Belgrade’s stance, however.

“The competent authorities are only acting in accordance with the law,” he
said. “An actual intention to change residence must be proven.”

Asked by Balkan Insight to clarify the basis on which the police refuse to
register new residence applications for the municipalities of Southern Serbia,
police in Vranje…[wrote,] “Having in mind that a lot of requests for a change
of residence have been submitted lately - not with the intention of permanent
residence - in order to prevent registering fictitious addresses… the competent
authorities are entitled to decide whether a person has filed a request in
order to get a job, get married or something similar, and if the conditions
have not been met, the request will be denied,” the written response added.

Zorica Kasalica, a senior official in the ministry of interior…maintained that
an applicant’s ethnic background was of no relevance to the procedure. Only the
documentary evidence that was submitted was taken into consideration.