http://www.interfax.com/newsinf.asp?id=178886

Interfax
July 22, 2010

UN court ruling on Kosovo opens Pandora’s box – lawmaker

-"This ruling and the position assumed by a majority of Western countries seems
extremely strange, to say the least. We were witnessing one ethnic group
aggressively ousting and destroying another ethnic group that had lived in
Kosovo for centuries."
-The International Court of Justice "has actually legitimatized the deadly
bloodshed we witnessed several years ago before Kosovo's self-proclaimed
independence."

MOSCOW: Dangerous trends could make themselves felt after the UN highest court
ruled that Kosovo's independence does not break international law, said Leonid
Slutsky, the first deputy chairman of the State Duma's International Affairs
Committee.

The International Court of Justice earlier on Thursday ruled that Kosovo's
declaration of independence from Serbia in 2008 did not break international law.

"This ruling could be likened to Pandora's box, and I can foresee a lot of
dangerous trends emerging globally similar to what was going on in Kosovo at
one time," Slutsky told Interfax.

But he said that the International Court of Justice's decision was predictable.

"It is awful, though, that a majority of the world's advanced nations backed
the position of unilateral recognition of Kosovo's self-proclaimed
independence. Yet, this is happening in the 21st century," Slutsky said.

"This ruling and the position assumed by a majority of Western countries seems
extremely strange, to say the least. We were witnessing one ethnic group
aggressively ousting and destroying another ethnic group that had lived in
Kosovo for centuries," he said.

Today's ruling is a vivid example of how double standards are being applied in
the politics of many countries, he continued. "Neither logic, nor common sense
is to be found here. Kosovo's self-proclaimed independence is recognized as
normal, while the independence, proclaimed by Abkhazia and South Ossetia, is
not recognized by an overwhelming majority of the international community," he
said.

The ruling passed by the International Court of Justice is "a clearly
collective and very serious twist in international politics, in institutions of
law and in the world's leading nations," Slutsky said.

The International Court of Justice's decision is political, rather than legal,
said Leonid Kalashnikov, first vice chairman of the International Affairs
Committee.

"But if the question is tossed to the UN court, whether the self-proclaimed
independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia was legitimate, the answer will be
different in principle - negative," he said.

The International Court of Justice "has actually legitimatized the deadly
bloodshed we witnessed several years ago before Kosovo's self-proclaimed
independence," he also said.

Kalashnikov said that most countries recognized Kosovo's independence long
before the ruling was passed, "which fuelled separatist sentiment in a number
of trouble regions."