Attorney General John Ashcroft is considering a plan to relax restrictions on the
F.B.I.'s spying on religious and political organizations in the United States, senior
government officials said today.

The proposal would loosen one of the most fundamental restrictions on the conduct of
the Federal Bureau of Investigation and would be another step by the Bush
administration to modify civil-liberties protections as a means of defending the
country against terrorists, the senior officials said.

The attorney general's surveillance guidelines were imposed on the F.B.I. in the
1970's after the death of J. Edgar Hoover and the disclosures that the F.B.I. had run
a widespread domestic surveillance program, called Cointelpro, to monitor antiwar
militants, the Ku Klux Klan, the Black Panthers and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King
Jr., among others, while Mr. Hoover was director....

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nyt/20011201/ts/ashcroft_seeking_to_free_f_b_i_to_spy_on_groups_1.html

FARIDI NETWORK - "Sharing the Knowledge"
http://faridi.net