subject: 3 May, 2004
----- WYSIWYG NEWS -------------------------------
Copyright, Brian Harmer

Recently, I had a birthday with a big round number in it,
and I received as a gift from my eldest daughter and her
partner, a voucher for a ride in a helicopter around
Wellington. Though I love all  kinds of aircraft, and
have flown in many types, I had never been in a rotary
wing machine before hence this inspired gift. So there I
was on the most magnificent Wellington day you might
imagine. No wind, no clouds, blue water, even bluer sky.
Wow! Time to redeem my voucher. I went down to Helipro on
Queen's Wharf, and had to wait a little while for the
other couple who were necessary to make an economic load
for the company. Mary was with me, as was our lovely
granddaughter, Grace. Grace is coming up for three years
now, and is a lively active inquisitive child. She was
really keen on the red machine which she determined was
"Grandad's hair-clopter". She watched wide-eyed as I
boarded the machine, a twin engined Squirrel, and climbed
into the front left seat. You will be relieved to know
that the controls were in front of the right hand seat.
We all mastered the slightly complicated safety belts,
and then the pilot equipped us each with a headset and
then started flipping switches. We heard the first
turbine begin to wind up and felt the "whoomp!" as it
ignited. As it came up to idle speed and the rotor began
turning overhead, the process was repeated with the other
engine. Most of the turbine whine was muted by the
headsets, but what surprised me was the apparent
imbalance as the rotor spun. I imagine that the three
blades are probably perfectly balanced in terms of
physical weight, but that the changing pitch as each
blade completes its cycle must impart some small dynamic
imbalance. It was like being suspended in a bath of jelly
to which an external pulse was being implied. Not
uncomfortable, but unusual. Our pilot was by now busy on
the radio, getting clearances to proceed via Brooklyn to
Island Bay and thence to Sinclair head. Clearance was
given, with the proviso that the flight would not exceed
1,500 feet. The turbines wound up and I could feel the
change as the rotor changed pitch and took the weight of
the machine, and then the ground receded. We rose steeply
over Te Papa, turning left over the marina by the
Overseas Passenger Terminal, and back over the long grey
form of the French surveillance frigate, Vendemiaire
which was on a goodwill visit to the city. I did give a
wry thought to the Exocet launchers, and the very mean
and effective anti-aircraft weapons on the ship's upper
works, but they were all unmanned, so I moved on. Down
below I could see Mary and Grace looking up as we whirled
noisily over their heads and flew over parliament (can
you imagine being allowed to do that in other world
capitals?). The flight path took us along the ridge above
Kelburn giving me a wonderful view over the university,
and then up over Brooklyn, with a wonderfully intimate
view of the wind turbine, unusually still. From Brooklyn,
the run was downhill to Island Bay, giving an astonishing
view of Tapu Teranga island. Astonish insofar as I always
thought it was one island. There is a distinct channel
that separates the two parts. Amazing. Out over the blue
water of the Cook Strait, we passed over the Aratere
bound for Picton, and the little freight ferry, "Purbeck"
doing the reverse leg, into Wellington. We swung back
towards the shore, and flew close to the hills that form
the southern ramparts of the North Island. Around the bay
where the Cook Strait power cable comes ashore we flew,
observing the markers that mariners must observe as they
outline the extensive prohibited anchorage zone. I think
if they drop their hook and cut all the cables, the South
Island might drift away! <grin>. Soon we were over
Sinclair head, and there we could see seals basking on
the beach. This colony is apparently the winter bachelor
quarters for the unattached males who are not permitted
near the nurseries. We zoomed up and over a ridge and
followed the steep and inhospitable Western coastline up
towards Makara. Over a small bay, we circled steeply
looking down through the clear water for a shoal of sting
rays that the pilot told us often gathered there. They
must have had appointments elsewhere on this day, since
we saw none. Up and over the hills we went, over Makara
village and over the ridge at the Western end of Karori,
over all of the green suburbs below until we crested the
Kelburn ridge again, looking down at our lovely jewel of
a city in its emerald and sapphire setting. A quick
circuit out over Courtenay place and over the marina
again, and the helicopter decelerated suddenly. There
below were Mary and Grace who had patiently walked around
to the twenty-five minutes or so of the trip, waving
madly. With amazing delicacy, the machine alighted on the
trolley used to haul it into its hangar at nights, and
the trip was over. It was a lifetime memory, all the more
special for the generosity of its givers, the glory of
the day and the beauty of our city. If you are visiting
Wellington, this is a great trip to do. I don't normally
advertise, but this is so worth doing that I'll provide
Helipro with an unsolicited plug. See
http://www.helipro.co.nz/wellington.html

-----
Any text above this point, and all subsequent material in
parentheses, and concluded with the initials "BH" is the
personal opinion of Brian Harmer as editor of this
newsletter, or occasionally "HH" will indicate an opinion
from Helen. In all cases they are honest expressions of
personal opinion, and are not presented as fact.

All news items (except where noted otherwise) are
reproduced by kind permission of copyright owner,
Newstalk ZB News All copyright in the news items
reproduced remains the property of The Radio Network
Limited.

----
Formatting this week is sponsored by Amanda in Toronto.
Thanks Amanda.
On with the news.

Tuesday, 27 April
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INTERNATIONAL UNI COMPARISON STILL POSSIBLE

New Zealand universities could still be compared with
their international counterparts. The Tertiary Education
Commission has announced a new review to consider the
comparison, which was strongly criticised by some
institutions earlier this year because it compared New
Zealand establishments with British ones. The appendix of
the TEC report which made the comparisons was eventually
removed after court action was taken. TEC acting
chairwoman Kaye Turner says everyone's views will be
considered before a decision is made. She says an
international comparison could be one way to improve the
quality of New Zealand universities. No timeframe for the
consultation has been set.

(I wish the media would get it clear that no one objects
to an international comparison, and that was not the
reason for the objection. At issue were the mechanics of
that particular comparison which were said to be flawed.
- BH)

DEPARTMENTS UNITE TO STOP CHILD PORN
------------------------------------

Internal Affairs and Child Youth and Family are working
closer together to combat child pornography on the
Internet. CYF is welcoming the jail term given to
Tauranga man Ross Mundy, convicted on 41 child
pornography charges. He had 1,300 images of children
being abused and also emailed pictures of a naked child
whom he said he was offering for sex. Judge Peter Rollo
described him as sick and depraved. Child Youth and
Family spokeswoman Shannon Pakura says her department and
Internal Affairs are developing a protocol on how they
can work together to share information. She says they can
swing into action to see if children are involved, then
respond, and make any placement decisions.

NZ POPULATION STILL RISING
--------------------------

The number of people living in New Zealand is still
rising, but the rate of growth is slowing. Statistics New
Zealand estimates the country's population at 4,054,200
as at the end of March. That is up nearly 57,000 on March
2003. However the population rose 68,000 in the previous
12 months.

AUSTRALIANS MOST FRUGAL TOURISTS
--------------------------------

Australians are the least high-spending nationality when
it comes to holidaying in New Zealand, according to new
industry figures. The average Australian spends less than
$2,000 during a visit here. That compares with more than
$6,000 for someone from Thailand. Despite that, business
correspondent Roger Kerr says New Zealand's trans-Tasman
cousins are still very welcome and are still its largest
tourist group, followed by visitors from Britain and
America. The overall average spend by an overseas tourist
is around $3,300.

(Isn't frugal a synonym for "tight"? :-) - BH)

Wednesday, 28 April
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CONTACT PROFITS RISE 63%
------------------------

Contact Energy has announced a 63 percent increase in
profit for the half year to March 31st. The company made
$55.297 million, against $33.954 million in the
corresponding period last year. The company says the
improved result reflects a variety of factors, including
higher electricity retail and generation revenues. This
is partly due to the Taranaki Combined Cycle plant,
acquired last year, as well as on-going strength in
retail volumes, tariff adjustments, and a strong
performance from wholesale electricity sales. Contact CEO
Steve Barrett says the generator and retailer is to
expand its reach so that it can offer service to every
New Zealand household and business. "We will be rolling
out to the few remaining areas where Contact does not yet
offer service over coming months," said Mr Barrett. "That
means we will be launching retail offers to people in
King Country, Bay of Plenty, Marlborough, Waipa, central
and southern Hawke's Bay, Wairoa, Buller and Westland. He
says around 125,000 households and businesses in those
areas will be targeted with competitive offers over
coming months. "These moves will also make Contact Energy
the second energy company to retail electricity
throughout the entire country," said Mr Barrett. An
interim dividend of 7 cents a share has been declared.

MERINO SHREK LIGHTER - AND CHILLY
---------------------------------

Shrek the sheep is a lot lighter and a little chilly,
after his date with shearer Peter Casserley at Cromwell
in Central Otago. After more than 27 kilograms - and six
years - of fleece was removed from the wether merino, it
was noticed that Shrek was shivering, despite his new
protective jacket. So he spent tonight indoors, after
being stripped down in front of a large crowd at Golden
Gate Lodge in Cromwell. He produced 27.5 kilos of wool,
which is being sold on-line at $100 a staple, with the
proceeds going to Cure Kids, which raises funds for
research into children's illnesses. Cure Kids chief
executive Kaye Parker says the money is going to a worthy
cause. She says medical research costs a lot but enables
cures to be found for children with illnesses. Bids can
be made online at www.shrekauction.co.nz

ANOTHER BABY DIES IN BATH SEAT
------------------------------

The drowning of a child in Adelaide, which is being
blamed on a baby bath seat, echoes a similar accident in
New Zealand. Adelaide coroner Wayne Chivell is calling
for a national ban on the seats. He found a seven-month-
old child drowned after his legs slipped between holes in
the Stay'nPlay seat, which is no longer being made. The
baby's mother had left him alone in the bath while she
answered the phone. Plunket's child safety adviser Sue
Campbell says a similar death happened in Auckland
towards the end of last year. She says it highlights the
need to be vigilant.

KIDS WANT MORE INFO WHEN PARENTS SPLIT
--------------------------------------

Children of couples going through divorce say they want
to be better informed about what is going on. Victoria
University PHD student Andrea Rigg is asking nine to 18-
year-olds how they feel about their parents' separation.
She says the young people she has interviewed have been
very pragmatic about how they fit into the process of
divorce. Ms Rigg says they want to know why the divorce
is happening and be involved in making decisions about
what happens after the split. She has so far spoken to 20
young people but to make sure her results are accurate,
wants to interview at least another 30.

HOSPITAL ATTACKS CANCER WAITING LIST
------------------------------------

Auckland City Hospital hopes to eliminate its waiting
list for cancer treatment by the end of the year. It is
about to start sending up to five patients a week to
Hamilton for treatment because there is spare capacity at
Waikato Hospital. Until now, about 30 patients a month
have gone to Australia, with the added cost being borne
by the Ministry of Health. Auckland City Hospital's Dr
John Childs says the waiting list has been caused by a
shortage of radiation therapists, but he hopes that over
the next six months or so the hospital will have full
staffing.

Thursday, 29 April
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KIWI COMPANIES CASH IN ON LARGER EU
-----------------------------------

New Zealand companies are already positioning themselves
to take advantage of the world's largest developed
market. The British Consulate General in Auckland says
there has been a surge in the number of companies looking
at using the UK as a springboard into the enlarged EU,
which from Saturday will have a population of 450
million, more than one-and-a-half times bigger than the
United States. Consul-General Stephen Turner says the new
EU members make up a hungry new market for New Zealand
goods. He says New Zealand's historic links with the UK
make it a good place to base a European campaign. Mr
Turner says if companies base themselves in the UK, they
get British Government help to grow into Europe.
Companies already with bases in the UK include Fisher and
Paykel Healthcare, Jade Software and Pulse Data.

MICROCHIPS WILL FOIL PASSPORT FORGERS
-------------------------------------

Internal Affairs is convinced new passports carrying
embedded microchips will make it more difficult for the
documents to be forged. The need to improve security on
New Zealand travel documents has been highlighted by the
discovery of 11 fake kiwi passports in Thailand. They
were found during a police raid in Bangkok on Monday, and
it's feared other forged passports may have fallen into
the hands of terrorists. Internal affairs spokesman Tony
Wallace says microchips will be part of passports in the
future, and this will make any fakes easy to spot at
border controls. He says the microchips will have a
duplicate photo and biographical data specific to the
holder, making forgeries more difficult. Arrests Two men
- a Thai and his Pakistani accomplice - were arrested in
the Bangkok raids. They had a total of 23 fake passports
in their apartment. The arrests followed the detention
last month of another Pakistani suspect, found with 12
bogus New Zealand passports. The Bangkok Post newspaper
says the passports might have been used by al Qaeda-
linked terrorist suspects or human traffickers. The
documents have serial numbers beginning with N379, which
allows visa-free entry to several countries. Thai police
say terrorist suspects arrested in Europe have travelled
to several nations carrying fake passports with such
serial numbers.

(Inventions always foil the bad guys until they figure a
way round it, and they always do - BH)

PORN CASE SUPPRESSION LAPSES
----------------------------

Name suppression has lapsed on a man jailed for seven
months on Internet child pornography charges. Hamilton
man Peter John Riddell is serving a seven-month term. He
was found guilty of 52 charges of collecting and
distributing videos and pictures of adults sexually
abusing children. The children were aged from two to 14.
Riddell sought permanent name suppression, but the court
has refused his application. The Department of Internal
Affairs says its policy is to oppose name suppression in
such cases. It says having offenders identified in public
is an important deterrent to others.

TAPU INCREASES RESOURCE CONSENT COSTS
-------------------------------------

Whangarei's Mayor is angry after some rural properties
were declared sacred. An interim deal between the
Whangarei District Council and Ngararatunua Marae means
any resource consent will require a costly historical
assessment. Specific areas of significance have not been
identified and currently a blanket tapu affects several
hundred properties. Mayor Craig Brown says it is out of
Council hands after the Environment Court imposed the
ruling. He says he does not agree with it, he is not
happy with it, and he does not believe the council is
happy with it. However, he says it is an interim measure
until a planned change can be brought about. Craig Brown
says a district plan change to justify areas of
significance could take until the end of the year or
longer.

MONTE CASSINO TRIP CLOSER FOR VETERANS
--------------------------------------

More than half the money needed to get an extra 75
veterans to the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Monte
Cassino has been raised. So far $320,000 had been raised,
$150,000 of which was given by the Government. 'Our
Heroes' Trust organiser Greg Evans says they are
organising two doctors, paramedics and three nurses to
fly with the veterans to Italy next month. In all they
need about $550,000 and donations can be made at any
branch of the BNZ bank or by ringing 0900 43 763.

ANTIQUES EXPERT AXED FROM ROADSHOW
----------------------------------

Derk Dykema will not be hosting the Napier Lions
fundraising antiques roadshow on Saturday as planned.
Suggestions he was not involved in the British TV show
"Antiques Roadshow" and news he was imprisoned in 1997
for trying to sell stolen antiques have prompted
organisers to drop him. He was described on Wednesday's
edition of TV One's Breakfast programme as one of the
'stars of the British Antiques Roadshow', though this
statement was later retracted on the TVNZ website. Mr
Dykema himself claimed to have worked as a consultant on
the programme in a newspaper interview. However, a BBC
spokeswoman says no-one on the Antiques Roadshow
production team had heard of Mr Dykema. Convener Brenda
Beattie says the proceeds are to go to Hearing Dogs for
Deaf. But she says they were prepared to pull out if Mr
Dykema was to be the host. Ms Beattie says the Napier
Lions are now looking for a new antiques expert to host
Saturday's event.

(I heard this fellow on the radio. He is genuinely
knowledgeable about antiques. It is a pity that this had
to happen - BH)

TV'S LANA COC-KROFT SERIOUSLY ILL
---------------------------------

Broadcasting celebrity Lana Coc-Kroft is seriously ill in
Auckland Hospital. The former national beauty queen has
been medivaced from Fiji, where she had been filming the
TV reality show Celebrity Treasure Island. Her agent Andy
Haden says his client was feverish and delirious when she
was flown back to Auckland on Wednesday morning, and she
remains that way in hospital. He says Dengue Fever and
Typhoid tests have come back negative, but those symptoms
could still develop. Andy Haden says Ms Coc-Kroft's
partner and family are at her bedside. He says he doesn't
fear for her life, but her condition is serious. The rest
of the Treasure Island cast and crew are back New Zealand
as scheduled.

WTO CRITICAL OF NZ FISHERIES PROPOSAL
-------------------------------------

New Zealand has proposed to the World Trade Organisation
the prohibition of the estimated $30 billion in fisheries
subsidies paid out worldwide. Trade Negotiations Minister
Jim Sutton says world fisheries are in crisis and
subsidies are a part of the problem. He says large parts
of the industry are suffering and is having acute social
as well as commercial impacts. At the WTO in Geneva, the
proposed prohibition has immediately been criticised by
the European Union as brutal and over the top. Japan,
South Korea and Taiwan are also opposed to the move.

CONCERNS OVER FREE ACCESS TO XENICAL
------------------------------------

There is concern freeing up Xenical could make people
rely on it, instead of use it in a weight-loss plan. The
drug that affects fat absorption is being made available
in Australia without a prescription. Australia's National
Drugs and Poisons Schedule Committee's decision means
consumers can buy Xenical over the counter without having
to talk to their doctor first. There have now been calls
in this country for the New Zealand Medical Association
to consider similar moves. National's health spokeswoman
Lynda Scott says it is an effective drug in the
management of obesity - but she says that is with the
watchful eye of a GP. Dr Scott is concerned it would be
freely accessible to teenage girls and people with eating
disorders. There have also been concerns raised in
Australia that use of the drug could affect vitamin
absorption by young people who need them most. Xenical
works by preventing the body from processing a third of
the fat eaten by the patient. The spare fat is excreted
normally. However, along with the spare fat, the body is
also getting rid of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
Doctors say that teenagers who use Xenical should also be
put on vitamin supplements.

MAN JAILED FOR KILLING SON
--------------------------

A Hawke's Bay man has been jailed for four-and-a-half
years after beating his son to death because he thought
he was taking drugs. Rangikotua Wano pleaded guilty to
manslaughter over the killing of his 15-year-old son
Rocky Wano at Tuai late last year. Wano senior was
originally charged with murder but police reduced the
indictment to manslaughter and he pleaded guilty. The
Crown says he had received a call from a local marae
claiming his son was there, and 'out of it'. Thinking he
was on drugs, Wano senior intercepted the boy on his way
home and beat him with his fists and feet, and again
later at another address. He took the boy home, where he
died in bed that night of a blood clot to the surface of
the brain.

Friday, 30 April
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PORT STRIKE WILL HURT MANUFACTURERS
-----------------------------------

Major South Island manufacturers are preparing to lose
millions of dollars as workers at the Lyttelton Port
Company begin strike action. Staff have walked off the
job until at least Monday. The dispute involves the use
of permanent part-time workers and the ratio between them
and permanent full-time staff. Solid Energy predicts it
will lose half a million dollars in coal exports. Dairy
companies are also preparing for financial setbacks.
Chief Executive of the Lyttelton Port Company Peter Davie
says discussions between both parties over the last two
days have failed to result in a solution. The Port
Company says it is particularly disappointed about the
timing of the strike, as it is affects a high proportion
of its customers during what is for many, a peak
exporting time.

AUCKLAND BEHIND IN RADIATION THERAPY
------------------------------------

The Cancer Society is questioning why Auckland City
Hospital is failing to attract radiation therapists.
Cancer patients are being sent to Waikato Hospital and to
Australia for treatment because of staff shortages in
Auckland. Dr Peter Dady from the Cancer Society, says
increased numbers of radiation therapists are graduating
and are being hired and retained by other hospitals. He
believes Auckland needs to focus more on retaining the
valuable staff it already has if it wants to reduce
waiting lists for cancer patients. An Auckland DHB
spokesman says the hospital plans have full staffing by
the end of the year.

SKYCITY RAISES THE STAKES IN HAMILTON
-------------------------------------

SkyCity has increased its stake in Hamilton's Riverside
Casino by buying up Tainui's 15 percent holding for $10.5
million. The purchase means SkyCity now has 70 percent of
the business. Hamilton-based Perry Developments owns the
remaining 30 percent. SkyCity Entertainment Group
Managing Director Evan Davies says developments such as
the recently announced expansion of Hamilton Airport have
encouraged the company to invest further in Waikato. The
deal is subject to regulatory approval.

NEW STUDY OF GAY COMMUNITIES
----------------------------

A Massey University research project is focussing on New
Zealand's gay and lesbian communities. Called Lavender
Islands, the project has been launched by openly-gay
cabinet minister Chris Carter. The researchers say it is
the first time an in-depth study has been undertaken to
look specifically at the gay and lesbian community, as
previous studies of the group have been mostly problem-
focused, looking at health and social problems The
research will examine everything from personal identities
to politics and career choices. It will endeavour to
develop a broad understanding of issues such as sexual
behaviour, sexual attraction, sexual fantasies and
emotional attraction. Dr Mark Henrickson believes
Lavender Islands is the most comprehensive study of the
group done to date in New Zealand and expects the
findings to be of international significance. The gay and
lesbian population in New Zealand is conservatively
estimated to number about 75,000 people. The researchers
want at least 3,000 people to participate in the study.

THE FINANCIAL PAGE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: 30 April 2004          Brian Dooley
                             Wellington  New Zealand

CURRENCIES
~~~~~~~~~~
The currency codes given below conform to ISO 4217, which
can be found at http://www.xe.net/currency/iso_4217.htm.

The rates given are for telegraphic transfer.

To Buy NZD 1.00

USD  0.6279
AUD  0.8678
GBP  0.3546